How do I take contacts off a broken phone?

Xavier Worthey

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
how to take contacts off a broken phone

So I broke the screen on my phone. It doesn't show a picture but if you touch it it still vibrates when undoing the lock. So how do I get my contacts off of it if I didn't have it synced to google??

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: how to take contacts off a broken phone

Best bet is to take it to your carrier to see if they can hook it up to their machine and possibly export your contacts to the SD card or to a USB flash drive. Or, if you're going to get a new phone, they can just transfer your contacts right over.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: how to take contacts off a broken phone

If the phone has HDMI output you can get a cable and hook it up to a TV with HDMI input and see the screen that way.

If you have saved contacts to your Google account, which I *highly* recommend, the contacts will automatically download to the new phone once you add your Google account to it. You don't have to mess around with a broken phone at all.

f you have not saved contacts to Google but can get a TV hookup to see what you're doing, the steps below will export contacts from the old phone and import them to Google for backup and transfer to your new phone.

This is the basic steps to export contacts as a .vcf file, import them to Google (aka Gmail) contacts and then send them to another device. The exact steps may be somewhat different for your device. Consult your user manual for details.

1. Open the Contacts app and tap Menu.

2. Select Import/export, then Export to storage.

3. A box will open with the location the .vcf file will be exported to. Write it down. Proceed with exporting contacts.

4. Transfer the .vcf file to a computer or cloud storage for upload to Google. Or, upload can be done directly from the phone.

5. Log into your Google account and open Contacts. If you are uploading directly from the phone, you will need the desktop version of the Contacts webpage in your phone browser. You cannot use the mobile version.

6. Click on More. In the drop-down list select Import.

7. In the next box select Browse. Navigate to the exported .vcf file and select it. Click on Import.

8. Once your Google account is added to the desired device, sync contacts.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.