Well i reseted my phone because it was in a boot loop and when i was setting things up i couldnt sign in to google it gave me the " couldn't establish a reliable connection error" i looked it up and heard i had to edit the host file so i opened root explorer, opened etc but i couldn't find host file only to know it's missing so now i need a host file,
    07-24-2015 11:15 AM
    I doubt this is your problem. A HOSTS file is designed to intercept a url entry and direct it to an ip address to it. It's kind of the same thing as using a server based DNS lookup, only devices typically try it before turning to a DNS server. If it doesn't find the url listed in the HOSTS file (or if the HOSTS file is not on the device, as in your case), then the browser and apps would simply turn to the DNS server for the right ip address. It all happens automatically.

If you reset the phone, it would have reinstalled the stock HOSTS file that originally came with the phone if it had one. HOSTS files are mostly used as an anti-malware defense to prevent you from accessing known websites that try hacking into your device. The entries all direct back to your device's local ip address. Since your device wouldn't have the files that would need to be accessed, you get page not found type errors and any potential intrusion is blocked.

It sounds to me like you just simply don't have an internet connection, or perhaps some other issue going on. If you're doing this via the phone's mobile data connection, try checking with your carrier for possible configuration issues. If you're setting up over Wi-Fi, are you sure you set up the Wi-Fi connection and password properly to connect after the reset?
    I doubt this is your problem. A HOSTS file is designed to intercept a url entry and direct it to an ip address to it. It's kind of the same thing as using a server based DNS lookup, only devices typically try it before turning to a DNS server. If it doesn't find the url listed in the HOSTS file (or if the HOSTS file is not on the device, as in your case), then the browser and apps would simply turn to the DNS server for the right ip address. It all happens automatically.

If you reset the phone, it would have reinstalled the stock HOSTS file that originally came with the phone if it had one. HOSTS files are mostly used as an anti-malware defense to prevent you from accessing known websites that try hacking into your device. The entries all direct back to your device's local ip address. Since your device wouldn't have the files that would need to be accessed, you get page not found type errors and any potential intrusion is blocked.

It sounds to me like you just simply don't have an internet connection, or perhaps some other issue going on. If you're doing this via the phone's mobile data connection, try checking with your carrier for possible configuration issues. If you're setting up over Wi-Fi, are you sure you set up the Wi-Fi connection and password properly to connect after the reset?
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-24-2015 02:20 PM