i recently came across a samsung note 3 and 4 available for sale but they are both locked to vodafone(i'm assuming that unlocking them shouldn't be a problem). however, my question would be in the light of a rumoured note 5, would you suggest a note 3 or note 4?
    07-30-2015 07:54 AM
    Hello. Are you in the UK. A new unlocked Note 4 is between 420 - 440 on Amazon direct. You shouldn't pay more than about 300 for a grade A used Note 3 unlocked.

I wouldn't buy a Vodafone unit if you don't plan to use the network. It will have a different rom, possibly extra bloatware and different radios, and only Vodafone release any Android updates. I don't know as much as a store tech would.

If you decide to buy one of these its possible it was an unlocked version anyway.

Unless you can save £100 - 150 over an unlocked phone I wouldn't risk it.

Have a look at CEX / WEBUY and Game stores, again if you are in the UK.
    07-30-2015 09:33 AM
    thanks i did actually see some for sale on cex,hence my question,it seems less expensive getting that tied to a network. i spoke with a vodafone operative and i was told i could get it unlocked. But you raise a question about it having a different radio and that they would be responsible for the update. is that likely ,have you seen that before. Because I do plan to use a different network on it.
    07-30-2015 05:38 PM
    thanks i did actually see some for sale on cex,hence my question,it seems less expensive getting that tied to a network. i spoke with a vodafone operative and i was told i could get it unlocked. But you raise a question about it having a different radio and that they would be responsible for the update. is that likely ,have you seen that before. Because I do plan to use a different network on it.
    Welcome to Android Central. I think you will be OK with the LTE bands.
    4G and LTE: everything you need to know: 4G networks | TechRadar

Sammobile shows when the official updates are available on Samsung Kies or OTA. As it happens Vodafone have been the earliest UK updaters for the Note 3, but still months behind the US.

Firmware for Samsung SM-N9005 - SamMobile
    see 20/7, 7/7 and 25/6. The CSC codes (dial *#9090#) are different.

I can't advise on Vodafone bloatware, but it used to be that an unlocked Vodafone may work on another sim, but you would still have apps you cannot remove.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/vod...bloatware.html

I sold an Amazon purchased Note 3 in June after 18 months, and it only would have started to receive Lollipop 10 days ago.

Good luck on your choice.
    07-30-2015 06:30 PM