Getting updates

m3kyd

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about software updates,
I'm new to Android and I'm not sure exactly how updates are being pushed to my phone.

From what I'm reading updates are being pushed to android phones through the service carrier and not directly from the Android Market. Is this true?

I bought my phone (HTC Desire HD) off eBay, and put in my own SIM card. So I'm wondering, since I didn't buy this phone from my carrier, and here in Israel Android phones aren't too popular - yet, so there is barely a market for them.

Does this mean that I might not get the update(s)???

Thanks for any help!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on if the phone was tied to a carrier to begin with. If not then the update should come straight from HTC. Either way, you should be able to manually apply the update shortly after it comes out.

Reactions: m3kyd

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes they come from the carrier... not the market. You're going to have to manually update the phone yourself. Someone on Android Central usually posts a link to download the update for your phone. If not you can always go the route of rooting the phone and using custom Roms.

m3kyd

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought two phones, the desire and the desire HD (both unlocked off of eBay). If you say the updates come ONLY from the carrier, then how come the first time I turned on the Desire, it notified me right away of the update to Froyo and it updated the phone (my carrier didn't even know I have an android)??

Something here doesn't make sense to me.

Also, when you say 'manually' update the phone, you're talking about a process that starts with rooting the phone, right?

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought two phones, the desire and the desire HD (both unlocked off of eBay). If you say the updates come ONLY from the carrier, then how come the first time I turned on the Desire, it notified me right away of the update to Froyo and it updated the phone (my carrier didn't even know I have an android)??

Something here doesn't make sense to me.

Also, when you say 'manually' update the phone, you're talking about a process that starts with rooting the phone, right?

If it wasn't tied to the carrier (not sold by the carrier), then the update should come from HTC. As for manual updates, you shouldn't have to root, as long as it's the official ROM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae