Why can't I establish a secure connection error?

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Cannot establish a secure connection error

This has just started happening the last 2 weeks. Whenever I try to log in to any wifi hotspot like the cloud or free pub wifi I get an error, "Connection Problem, Cannot establish a secure connection"

I can access a Google homepage so obviously it's making a connection but it won't go any further or load the login screen so I am unable to get full internet access. At first I thought it was an issue with the router/hotspot so got my wife to try it off her phone and she was able to sign in without any problems. Then today I tried to access a totally different wifi hotspot and got the error again so the issue is clearly with my handset.

I can access my router at home and other routers which I have set up via a wpa password like the ones at my dad's house and my friend's routers etc. The error specifically occurs when trying to access wifi hotspot which require the user to sign in. It worked fine up until last week or so but now I can't access any wifi hotspot without getting this error.

I've tried clearing the browser data and cache. I've tried forgetting the router then restarting my phone and then reconnecting but the issue still remains. I've even cleared the Google account and reinstalled it. Cleared the data from the Google play and services app just in case it could be an issue with Google services. I've pulled the battery and done a soft reset. I've tried disabling and resetting mobile data in case this was causing a conflict and I've reset the network access points. Even though this issue is affecting wifi access not mobile data, I wanted to cover all the bases. So far nothing has worked. Short of doing a factory reset I don't know what else to try. I don't really want to do a factory reset if possible as I will lose all my stored wifi passwords and messages which I am unable to backup.

My device is a galaxy s2 running stock ICS firmware.

Last edited:

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes I've done that and since writing my initial post I've done a factory reset but the problem still persists.

I don't know if this is normal but when I reset my phone, it didn't wipe everything. There were folders on the internal storage that were left intact and it remembered my wifi passwords for all my access points. Also some app data was preserved. I don't know if some of this was backed up on Google servers but it felt a bit like it hadn't wiped the phone entirely. Is this normal?

Either way the problem still persists. I tried it yesterday after the phone was reset before I had loaded on any of my apps and it wouldn't connect to the hotspot yet my wife's S4 connected fine as did my friends HTC.

I had a malicious ransomware app download to my phone a few weeks ago and I'm beginning to wonder if its maybe altered something at root level even though the app has been removed. I've ran several virus checkers (avast. Avg and lookout) and all report the phone as clean.

The W12ard

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
It would appear that my mac address has been blocked by a public wifi hotspot service/company called Aquiva which operates on behalf of such services such a The Cloud and other public wifi hotspots.

How have I come to this conclusion? Well there's is the only website that I am allowed to access while connected to these hotspots which turns out operates all the wifi hotspots that I'm now unable to access. Coincidence?

Apparently on their terms and conditions it says they will terminate access to anyone in breach of their terms and conditions. When I signed up I used the email address nobody(at)nowhere(dot)com and gave a fake name because I was worried about my personal security and getting spam. Only thing I can think of is that they've cottoned on or something has flagged up and blocked my access. I haven't used the service for anything illegal just to access Facebook and general web searches.

I am able to access other wifi hotspots no bother other than those that are operated by this company so can only assume that the reason I can't access their hotspots but my wife and friends can despite a full factory reset is that I've somehow been blocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol