Why am I getting popup ads?

rpwalton

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else getting these? I've had my AT&T Note 5 for about 10 days, and these very annoying pop up ads started about a week ago. Ads for fanduel, HBO Go, bull**** shopping junk, etc. I thought maybe they were coming from the facebook app, so I disabled it and the ads still pop up. I even ran malwarebytes to see if my phone was infected but it found nothing... any suggestions? I never had this problem on my Note 3.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's almost guaranteed to be an app. Whenever this happens, it's tied to a free app that you recently installed or updated. So those pop-ups usually won't show up on malware scans.

rpwalton

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, and I can't figure out what did it, and malware scanners can't find anything...
I'm about to the point of saving all my contacts and other files and doing a factory reset to get rid of this garbage...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you go that route, make sure you disable auto updates from Play, then tell it not to automatically install your apps during setup. Install them one by one and try them a while before moving on to the next. Also check their reviews to see if others report the issue before you install it.

jrind

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever resolve the issue? Same exact thing here. EXTREMELY annoying. Completely random pop up ads (Fanduel, HBO Go, etc...) . Was in a business meeting, phone was on table, all of a sudden a Fanduel ad comes on... audio and all !!! How can this kind of bs get into these apps without Google Play stopping it? How can Fanduel, etc.. think it's a good idea to support/allow this???? There is not one person who would not get pi$$ed off at this.

:mad::mad::mad:

rpwalton

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like the same garbage I had...
VERY annoying, irritating, aggravating to the point of really pissing me off, and I'm not one easily angered...
I resolved the popup problem by transferring all my contacts logs and other files back to my old phone using the Smart Switch app, then I did a factory reset and switched my files and contacts back to my Note5. I did not transfer any apps, as I did not know where the adware originated, but rather reinstalled non-native apps as needed.
I did this last Saturday, and so far I have not had a single popup ad...
In retrospect, after racking my brain for the last two weeks trying to figure out how my phone got infected, I suspect it happened on Facebook using the Facebook app, so that's one more app relegated to the disabled pile...
I remember getting the first popup that wanted me to download and install a "Wish Shopping" app, and I think I clicked on one of their advertised items just to look at it, but did not buy download or install anything... think I would have learned my lesson by now.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited: