I keep getting these popups that take over my screen at random times. They say I've got a virus, to download to get rid of the virus. Sometimes it says I'm a winner on facebook. I will see if I can add screen shots of some popups. Is this a virus? Can someone help me get rid of it please? I don't know how it got on my phone. I've tried starting up in safemode, going through applications, I've not seen any apps that I don't recognize, I don't download anything other than from playstore, I've tried 3 different vitus finders and none have found my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
    10-18-2015 12:35 PM
    I keep getting these popups that take over my screen at random times. They say I've got a virus, to download to get rid of the virus. Sometimes it says I'm a winner on facebook. I will see if I can add screen shots of some popups. Is this a virus? Can someone help me get rid of it please? I don't know how it got on my phone. I've tried starting up in safemode, going through applications, I've not seen any apps that I don't recognize, I don't download anything other than from playstore, I've tried 3 different vitus finders and none have found my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
    There could be an app installed that is creating the pop-ups, which sound like an ad to download third-party apps and/or services. I would suggest a factory reset to be safe. When you re-install apps do so slowly allowing time in between each download to see if the problem reoccurs. If it does, then you know it's related to the last downloaded app.

Be sure to backup your data before hand.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-18-2015 01:13 PM
    I had a similar problem. I deleted all of my apps, removed the sd card, did a factory reset and still get pop-ups. Somehow it is installed on the operating system and seems to be there forever. Good luck getting a solution.
    10-18-2015 09:08 PM
    They just ads that's all, not virus you can install some anti virus app and check it to confirm
    10-19-2015 03:49 AM
    Cross Posted from different topic=================
    I have a similar problem on my Nexus 7 AOS 5.1.1 (after scanning this board, I find that different models of Android have the same problem - but this is the first one topic I saw). Seems to have started with AOS 5??

Random ads pop up between program launches/calls. If a program calls another program, or does some type of calling routine, the ad launches.
    This is NOT related to any single program or browser, and does not launch every time (seems some time of time factor that controls it.)
    A simple touch of the 'back' button and it closes, no reason to wait.

Is there some time of system logger app that will keep track of system call action? This would help to find the called/calling program.
    A new problem has just started. Nexus 7 keeps rebooting it self (I have not localized the problem yet - too new) Seems to have something to do with streaming media - not sure yet.

Any ideas before I do a complete system reset. Rather not since some apps were installed on a limited time trial and can not be reinstalled. (app of the day - maybe the problem came from this app??)
    System Reset would be a Royal Pain!!!
    All my apps (but one) came from Google Play, and that one I know is clean.

W.
    11-05-2015 08:23 PM
    Thank you everyone for the help. I would like to see if there's a way to get rid of these annoying pop up ads without having to do a factory reset. I've never done one and am honesty afraid to do one. But I will if nessasary.
    11-14-2015 10:20 AM
    As dnhayward said above, sometimes even a Factory Reset is not enough. You may have to reflash the OS.

If you decide to do the reset, and need help, we have guides that may help....just let us know.
    11-14-2015 08:04 PM
    Nexus 7 AOS 6 (M)
    Is there some type of execution/call log either built in or add on that can track this thing?
    I know how it works, but have no way of debugging it.

I have done a system reset before, much hassle, but possible. Just don't want to do it again.
    As to refresh the system OS ??? Wouldn't the factory reset do that?

Without rooting it, is there a method of doing a complete backup/restore?
    W.
    11-18-2015 11:06 PM