Strange issue here, and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

The phone in question is a Nexus 5 with the latest updates installed. When a text message comes in it turns the screen on like it's supposed to and shows the notification, but there is no sound. However, if the phone is already on and being used the sound works when a new text arrives.

If a call comes in it rings just fine whether the screen is on or off. It's just the text notification sound that is not working properly.

Any ideas what would cause this or how to fix it?

Also, when I go into the phone's sound settings I don't have a notification volume bar to adjust. Only media, ringtone, and alarm....however, I can access notification volume through a volume widget I use, and it's set to full volume.
    10-19-2015 09:15 PM
    Could it be that the volume widget is messing with the actual system notification volume?
    Try faking a notification by sending yourself a message on any messaging app/email and just when you see the notification (and when the notification sound should sound) try raising the volume by pressing the volume up key on the side of the N5.
    10-19-2015 09:25 PM
    Could it be that the volume widget is messing with the actual system notification volume?
    Try faking a notification by sending yourself a message on any messaging app/email and just when you see the notification (and when the notification sound should sound) try raising the volume by pressing the volume up key on the side of the N5.
    No. The widget isn't the problem. I installed the widget after the issue started when I couldn't find the notification volume in the phone settings.
    10-19-2015 09:29 PM
    I would probably just delete the cache partition to let it "optimize apps" on boot.
    10-19-2015 09:52 PM