How long before your battery starts to lose how long it will last?

eeyore6802

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
How long does everyone usually see before your battery starts draining faster? I usually do my best to have it charged 100% and then drain it down low before plugging it in again. I've had my note 4 just shy of year and I've noticed more now the battery seems to drain faster where I will need to plug it in sometime during the day before leaving work. I have backup batteries for an emergency. Was possibly gonna have an option to upgrade but when I looked and saw none of the newer samsung have a removable battery was very disappointed. Most likely will be hanging on to my note 4.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
How long does everyone usually see before your battery starts draining faster? I usually do my best to have it charged 100% and then drain it down low before plugging it in again. I've had my note 4 just shy of year and I've noticed more now the battery seems to drain faster where I will need to plug it in sometime during the day before leaving work. I have backup batteries for an emergency. Was possibly gonna have an option to upgrade but when I looked and saw none of the newer samsung have a removable battery was very disappointed. Most likely will be hanging on to my note 4.

Depends.. this has been a horse thats been beat until its pulp, but optimally Li-Ion like to operate between the 40-80% range. If you let a battery go lower than that routinely you'll see 1-3% overall lost charge per month. So within a year, you'll see your battery charge to 100%, but it'll be at 80-85% overall capacity. This happens because moving the ions between the structures of the battery causes corrosion. That corrosion is not repairable..

Li-Ion dont like being charged to full 100%, nor does it like to be depleted. Depleting your battery routinely will be the sure fire way to ruin your battery the first year. Just charge your device normally, try and not let it go below 40% as much as you can and not worry about it. At least you have a battery that can be user replaced.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the 40% rule, but I don't worry much about charging to 100%. From what I've read and heard, it will make a difference if left full but not a ton if you're immediately using it. This is why Li-ion/Lipo batteries are shipped in a partial "storage charge." The only time a worry about that is overnight. I'll make sure I have enough to get through the night, but I don't plug it in all night.

But that's not the only thing that affects battery life. Over time, app advancements, OS updates, adding more apps doing background work, and general wear and tear can make a phone work harder. So a battery would likely drain quicker today than a year ago even if the battery itself is in the exact same condition.

Battery life expectancy is all over the map.