How can I fix android phone constant error message 'Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped?'

A

AC Question

Started yesterday; won't allow me to SMS, constantly interrupts anything I try to do on the phone.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome.

Try Settings, Storage, Cached Data, and clear the cache. Follow with a Power Off and Restart of the phone.
Get back to us right here if still no go.

boldtag

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
We, too, have had the 'Google Search has stopped' message. Extremely irritating because it pops up about once per minute no matter what we do. I couldn't find 'Google Search' in the apps list to disable it (what would happen if I even could?) The only apps I could find that might be related are Gmail, Google, Google Settings, Google+ -- none of which we use.

I did follow the path cited to clear cache, then did a power off and restart. Problem persisted.
I was able to use my PC to move photos from the phone to the PC, but that's all I could find. Could not find any way to preserve notes and message history.

I finally did a factory reset, but then lost all the notes and text history. But I was finally able to send a text message,

What app uses the Google Search? How do I prevent it from happening every few months?