Setting up .edu email address

DrewCSchultz

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hello all! Before I'm flamed I assure you I've searched this topic to no avail.

I'm trying to set up a live.edu address given to me through my school. I had no problems setting it up on my BlackBerry, but have not been successful in setting it up through the Moto Droid (which I had briefly), nor my Nexus One.

Honestly I don't know if it's POP3, IMAP, or Echange, so I've tried all three. Any ideas? Any help is certainly appreciated...

Quick note: Just picked up my N1 a couple days ago, and aside from the 3G issues I'm having, this thing is a beast! RIP RIM.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
i haven't tried so someone may jump in before i have an answer for you. i'll try to load my cousins .edu email this afternoon and report back. Hopefully you'll have an answer before then.

DrewCSchultz

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
-So I called T-Mobile to see if they had an answer
-I couldn't get the words "Nexus One" out before she was telling me she couldn't help.
-I told her to pretend like I had an HTC Hero, and see if that pulled up any kind of answers, you know, for ****s and gigs.
-She said they were totally different devices.
-I said I knew that, but they both run on Android (albeit different versions of it), and the e-mail setup was most likely very similar.
-Silence on her end.
-I thanked her for her time and moved on.
-Still waiting for an E-mail response from Google. I'm a teachers aid this semester (free credits ftw), so it's really important that I get my .edu account set up. I'll be taking my phone to the tech lab on Monday, hopefully they will provide answers which I can report back to you fine folks.

The T-Mobile situation was very reminiscent of the day I activated my device. The Google automated setup failed on me (Verizon wasn't ready to release my number yet), and told me to call T-Mobile. I called and explained the situation and before I could finish the guy literally interupted me and told me they didn't support the nexus one. I said I know they don't support it, but they sure as hell could activate it. He told me to go to google, and I told him they told me to go to T-Mobile. He said "I don't know what else to tell you." I asked to talk to the supervisor, and 20 minutes late we were activating my shiny new nexus one.

-That was my first time ever speaking with T-Mobile, and they were rude to me. I was activating a two year relationship with them, going as far to leave the best network for them, and they were rude. Weird how they don't want to support my phone, but they were willing to subsidize it (anyone else find that strange?).
-I've emailed Google support twice. The first time was about the 3g issue, and it took a full day to respond. I'm still waiting on the other response.

I know Google and T-Mo have an agreement, but this is kind of a ****-show. Seems like neither party really considered the ramifications of this kind of partnership (non-partnership?).

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think Google is redefining the relationship between hardware seller/provider and network provider. I agree they don't have things worked out yet. I'm currently with AT&T due to a good work discount, but my customer service from years at T-Mo was excellent. They even told me step by step what Cingular(swallowed up by AT&T) had to do to port my 4 numbers over since Cingular didn't seem to know how to do it. Too bad their futzing this up. They did sell a two year plan. I think the lesson will be to tell them you're using a supported phone out of the gate for network setup tasks - tell them you're borrowing your brother's whatever for a week...
ADS

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
One thing might be to call the school's IT support

Find out for sure if it's pop, imap, and especially, if they are set up to use a non-standard port, ask them incoming, outgoing server setup, everything you can get out of them. With the setup details, hopefully you could trip throught the options.
ADS

I'm trying to set up a live.edu address given to me through my school. I had no problems setting it up on my BlackBerry, but have not been successful in setting it up through the Moto Droid (which I had briefly), nor my Nexus One.

Honestly I don't know if it's POP3, IMAP, or Echange, so I've tried all three. Any ideas? Any help is certainly appreciated...

Quick note: Just picked up my N1 a couple days ago, and aside from the 3G issues I'm having, this thing is a beast! RIP RIM.

DrewCSchultz

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Find out for sure if it's pop, imap, and especially, if they are set up to use a non-standard port, ask them incoming, outgoing server setup, everything you can get out of them. With the setup details, hopefully you could trip throught the options.
ADS

Thanks for your response! I'm going to speak with them tomorrow.

I've actually found a great temporary solution if I can't figure it out by adding it as an account to my primary gmail inbox. Odd how I can add it to my gmail account but not my device. Either way this may be the better solution as now I have true "push" with my .edu account.

Thanks again!

Oyabun

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
live@edu can be setup as pop or imap but for push you want imap
there are special settings that you need to configure it

outlook.com is the incoming server and for outgoing you need to log in to windowslive and go to your mail and get the server name from the url field
it should be pod51000.outlook.com or something like that
incoming imap outlook.com port 993 ssl
outgoing smtp pod**000.outlook.com port 587 tls

Last edited:

keeneraver

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
If you find a guide showing how to configure this e-mail account on Thunderbird or Outlook, you can use the same settings in the mail client. K-9 is a great app for this, BTW.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Interesting as I found all this without much of an effort Googling around. Please add Live@edu to the thread topic. Not all .edu email accounts are the same.

These instructions were written for the Droid's Mail app. Not sure if the Nexus One's app differs or not but it should be very similar. Looking at Live@edu's support section this appears to be based on the standard ActiveSync setup instructions which can be found at:
http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/bb896613.aspx

They don't have Android-specific pages but ActiveSync is ActiveSync so it shouldn't matter. Just stick the right info in the appropriate field.

Email Address: <FullEmailAddress>
Password: <Password>

Tap Next

Tap Exchange account

Set the following fields correctly (x below means checkmark):

Domain\Username: \<FullEmailAddress>
Password: <Password>
Exchange Server: m.outlook.com
x Use Secure Connection (SSL)
x Accept All SSL certificates

Tap Next

ADS
Live@edu supports ActiveSync, POP and IMAP.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...free-hosted-student-email.aspx&token=vXS3zGkN

Last edited:
Reactions: prometheus

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

we're not like that here. (You must be coming from crackberry, a lot of ugly people there). We welcome questions -- that's how we all build our knowledge base. good question, thanks for asking it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12