All...

I am a bit confused about Widgets in Android...
    Are they merely shortcuts to apps already installed?
    Whats their functionality?

That's whats coming to mind as of the moment...
    11-03-2015 08:25 AM
    They put more information from an app on a Homescreen (you can swipe across several) rather than having an icon, or opening the app to full screen. Most have different or resizeable widgets.
    I don't use them much anymore, I think a lot of people don't, but most major device forums on Android Central have or had a (show us your) Homescreen sticky thread.

They can make your home screens very attractive and useful.

This thread was my favourite (because I had a Note 3) :

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=322253

Have a look
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-2015 09:44 AM
    Not talking about screen shots Madd...
    So lets say I open up Uber or any app a few times... does that create a shortcut on the home screen? I've seen a few phones where I have two icons for the same app... one on the home screen and the other in the App drawer... Both open the same version app. If it does, Whats the need for the App/OS to create a new one on the home screen when you already have an icon in the app drawer?
    11-03-2015 10:48 AM
    A portion of those screens would show the Widgets of apps regular posters would use every day, but that thread was mostly about changing themes and wallpapers, icon packs and different launchers from the Play Store.

I may find a better reference somewhere, meantime pick an app you use. Weather, clocks, news, calendars and social media widgets are probably most popular.
    They're not icons, and you don't need to use any, but you can put several widgets for different apps on one screen and a lot of updated information is displayed in your choice of layout without needing to open from an icon, although you will invariably open the full app if you want more anyway.
    Some have small icons, but they can shortcut to a particular part of the app, open a new document or Note widget for example.

bhrgvr and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-03-2015 11:33 AM
    Thanks a lot for the explanation Madd...
    Was always under the impression that it is another useless piece of icon created when you open an app multiple times. So the phone I saw is running KitKat and is a Samsung Duos... I know I know, he might upgrade to the Priv soon or maybe Plus 2.

With that... has Lollipop changed a lot from KitKat in the way widgets function or how the OS functions?
    and Whats the difference between Cyanogen and Stock Google...

Probably need multiple threads on this... if needed I will create another one...
    11-03-2015 12:50 PM
    Try B. Diddy's guide to Android, (there's also a guide for Blackberry users but I don't think it's been updated for a while).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=399060

also from Samsung :

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=6Vqgnh40

Lollipop has improved in most areas, it only changed where you find widgets though on most devices. Many didn't like the white themes for Settings etc, but it's fine. Lollipop version 5.1 or 5.1.1 seems better than the first 5.0, and now Android 6.0 Marshmallow will be rolling out over the next few months with better battery saving/sleep features (Doze) and just improves on what Lollipop started, afaik.

Cyanogenmod do custom roms and full OS for a lot of models if people want to change theirs, and recently one or two new devices launched with Cyanogen OS as standard, but changing say a Samsung means rooting and re-installing (flashing) and it's not for me.

I haven't looked at the Priv information yet so don't know what it comes with.

You'll find forums for most things, like Lollipop, the Blackberry Priv, Ambassadors Guides, and say hi in Introductions, under Android Central Community.

Welcome to Android Central.
    bhrgvr likes this.
    11-03-2015 01:33 PM
    Thanks a lot... that helped me

Posted via the Android Central App
    anon8380037 likes this.
    11-06-2015 03:02 PM