I have around 1,000 emails in my inbox (just can't decide which ones to delete). When I set that account up in my phone they all downloaded or something so they are all apparently inside my phone now. If I delete them from what I see on my phone will they also be deleted from the IMAP server?
    11-06-2015 04:10 AM
    In short, yes as long as you have a network connection (and if you don't they will delete from the server once you GET a connection).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ccess_Protocol <- A little primer on what IMAP is and how it works. In the end, unless you have your mail set as a POP3 account and you've disabled the option to have the messages delete from the server when you delete from the device, your mail will delete from the server automatically.
    11-06-2015 07:45 AM
    (why won't it let me quote a post?)

I'm having the same problem, my emails are not being deleted from the server and now i have over 600 "unread" emails when i log in on pc... i have the "delete from server" option turned on. I'm on lollypop 5.2
    Posted via the Android Central App on LG G Stylo
    12-11-2015 02:07 PM
    I select all from a pc and move them to a new folder.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-11-2015 02:47 PM
    I select all from a pc and move them to a new folder.
    but the point is to do it from your phone so you don't have to log into a pc.

12-11-2015 06:49 PM
    but the point is to do it from your phone so you don't have to log into a pc.

Yeh, sorry. UK time here. I may have misread.
    Hallux or especially Crashdamage are the email experts.

Are you sure it's an IMAP service and not entered with POP settings.

I mention the pc because the Gmail app and Yahoo app to name two, don't allow you to select all on the app, and doing multiple is a pita.
    You can select all on a browser, though I guess logging in on a phone browser would do the same, at least on desktop view, but my current screen is really small
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-12-2015 06:52 AM
    Yeh, sorry. UK time here. I may have misread.
    Hallux or especially Crashdamage are the email experts.

Are you sure it's an IMAP service and not entered with POP settings.

I mention the pc because the Gmail app and Yahoo app to name two, don't allow you to select all on the app, and doing multiple is a pita.
    You can select all on a browser, though I guess logging in on a phone browser would do the same, at least on desktop view, but my current screen is really small
    not sure how phones work in the uk, but here in the u.s. phones don't need seperate apps for each email. it's all integrated into the phone. you can download individual apps for each email but that's redundant when the phone can handle all of them....

of course logging in through the browser would allow you to access and delete all your emails as that would be the same as logging into your pc but i don't know too many people that prefer that since it defeats the purpose of your phone having email capabilities.

anyhow, my particular phone doesn't have seperate options for imap or pop emails that i know of. it has 1 option when adding accounts which appears as "imap/pop".

12-13-2015 03:48 AM
    not sure how phones work in the uk, but here in the u.s. phones don't need seperate apps for each email. it's all integrated into the phone. you can download individual apps for each email but that's redundant when the phone can handle all of them....
    In many cases a specific email app has more features than the stock email app that is pre-installed on a particular phone.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    12-13-2015 03:52 AM
    In many cases a specific email app has more features than the stock email app that is pre-installed on a particular phone.
    yes, i know but when it comes to using the stock app, all the phones i have used are able to delete from the email servers, that's the main convenience of it.... having individual apps for all my emails would mean having to open one, check, read, delete, close. open the other and do the same thing and so on. the stock app SHOULD let you simplify this by putting all your accounts in one hub to manage with ease.....

(just noticed this android central app is posting with a huge delay. thought my previous post didn't go through.)

12-13-2015 04:04 AM
    just double checked in my individual acct advanced settings and it appears to have a setting to delete from server when deleting which IS checked off... also, under imap/pop it does indeed have a pop server which i guess it made automatic when i added the acct and it looks like i can change it but where do i get the imap address if that is the problem?

12-13-2015 04:14 AM
    Ok so I deleted and reentered my acct and it turns out it does give me the option to select either imap or pop acct except that when I choose the I map server it won't accept it. The next button to save and proceed is greyed out and reverts back to pop3...
    this is for my aol acct. My only conclusion is that aol does not have imap servers which is odd because it worked fine on my previous phone which was a blackberry...guess I will have to download it's own app to see what happens.

12-13-2015 04:47 AM
    I hope you get it sorted.
    Afaik, if an IMAP account is selected all you are asked for is the address and password and the email client / app does the rest. No need to enter account settings yourself.
    Why IMAP is greyed out, or what app you are using, I don't know.
    12-13-2015 07:28 AM
    Just found this thread and it's moving in the right direction. You found it was setup as POP3 and removed and reentered the account as IMAP. And the grayed-out IMAP option is because the email app was unable to detect the server settings and finish setup automatically. Some email apps are better than others at automatic detection and setup. Anyway, the setup will have to be entered manually.

A quick Google search found these settings for AOL IMAP service:

AOL Mail IMAP server address: imap.aol.com
    AOL Mail IMAP user name: Your AOL Mail screen name (the part before "@aol.com" in your AOL Mail address; if your AOL Mail address is me@aol.com, for instance, the screen name is "me")
    AOL Mail IMAP password: Your AOL Mail password
    AOL Mail IMAP port: 993
    AOL Mail IMAP TLS/SSL required: yes

Try setting up the account again using those settings. Select IMAP for type of course, but then the email app should offer a choice of automatic or manual setup. Choose manual.

If it still fails, post back with details.
    anon8380037 and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-13-2015 08:13 AM
    @crashdamage....well i tried your settings but it has it for incoming and outgoing... i can change the outgoing to imap but not the incoming. the pop3 server on that is greyed out. needless to say i still can't delete from server... i did download the aol app and that does delete from the server. oh well, i guess I'll be using that to cleanup my inbox. not a dealbreaker for me to return the phone, just a minor inconvenience. oh well.

Crashdamage and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-15-2015 01:23 AM
    Glad you found a solution, of sorts. AOL email has always been a pain in the ****. Still is apparently.
    Laura Knotek and anon8380037 like this.
    12-15-2015 04:55 AM