I hate group text conversations, especially when it's full of people I don't know replying to everyone on a list.
    Unlike gmail, where you can mute a conversation thread in your inbox, no Android phone comes with a mute group text conversation option.

I downloaded the Textra app in order to blacklist spam numbers and found a handy function called "Override Default Settings".

If you long press on the group text conversation and click the 3 vertical dots on the top right corner it gives you 2 options : Override Default Settings, and Blacklist

If you don't want to blacklist your friends and receive messages from them in the future choose Override Default Settings.

This opens a new menu. Click Notifications, and then change Enable Notifications to OFF!

This then puts all future notifications on mute. Hooray, rejoice!
    Finally!

Now if only Android would figure out how to include this in their own messaging apps...
    11-19-2015 04:33 PM
    In Hangouts, go to a group conversation, hit the 3 dots, People & Options, uncheck Notifications. And/or select "silent" for the chat message sound. That's the only messaging app I've used on this phone. Brought to you by Google.
    11-19-2015 06:03 PM
    Nici G, i went thru a buncha drama to login just to say THANK YOU!! Group texts have been the bane of my existence and i continuously have to fight to get removed and have thus been highly unsuccessful. i feel downright stupid bc Textra is the app i use and i didn't know this functionality was there. i even downloaded Verizon+ just to use this feature and multitask between the 2 bc Textra is better. You have just saved my sanity. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    01-29-2016 05:24 PM
    Being new to the Android world (I have the Note 8), I found these posts very helpful. Although I didn't install Textra, I ended up downloading Android Messages from Google. Wow, what a big difference over the default messaging app.

Thank you though
    09-08-2017 03:51 PM
    how do i do this if it's using the android OS default text app? i can't access the group convo from hangouts because it's not in hangouts.
    11-21-2017 09:31 PM
    The default SMS app may not have this feature.
    Select the conversation, then check the menus and buttons.
    11-23-2017 02:49 AM
    You can in Android Messages. Go to convo, 3-dot menu, People & Options. Under General, select Notifications. You can disable entirely, lower the importance (visual disruption and sound, visual but no sound, no visual or sound but still have notification dot, etc)
    04-13-2018 12:01 PM