Advice Needed: Novice Questions about TVs, Smart Tvs, and Android

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I watch a lot of stuff from my phone and tablet and don't have cable.

My current TV is around 10 or 11 years old and I rarely use it, because it's really only useful when I want to watch a DVD---and considering I stream everything---I rarely use it.

However, I am thinking about getting a Smart TV.

A friend of mine was saying he would just spend money on a regular TV and hook it up to a cheap Bluray player, since it would be cheaper and most new Bluray players will support Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Facebook etc.

I have a Chromecast and use a Nexus phone, so I know it'll be easy to cast from my phone/tablet to the TV, regardless of whether it's a smart or non-smart TV.

Money isn't a huge issue, but is my friend on point or are there substantial advantages to having a Smart TV, with the ability to connect to the internet on its own?

Some other things I am looking for:

I'd like a Smart TV with the ability to surf the internet via a Keyboard/Mouse---Is this even possible?

There are a couple sites that I visit that still stream content using Adobe Flash. Can you install Adobe Flash directly on Smart TV and access the content directly. Or, would I be better to stream the content through my phone or tablet--Dolphin Browser supports flash---and just use the chromecast?

Lastly, I have a casual arrangement with family members that I will give them access to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime and they will allow me to use their cable login and ID.

It's nice because it allows me to steam CNN, Fox News, ABC, TNT/TBS and others through their dedicated Android apps on my phone or tablet.

I assume I would need an Android TV box hooked up to the TV, but is it possible to install or sideload Android apps so I could access them directly from the TV, without having to access them on my phone and stream them to the TV via the chromecast?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I made a thread on Connectedly a while back about something similar: Do we really need Smart TVs? - Connectedly Forum

I really don't think Smart TVs are needed. With so may other options to stream from the ability to stream right on your TV is unnecessary. However, I really think OEMs are pushing it as the only way to get something better than 1080 is to get a smart TV.

I would get a non smart TV, and then hook up some kind of streaming box to it. I have a Shield Android TV and I like it.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I made a thread on Connectedly a while back about something similar: Do we really need Smart TVs? - Connectedly Forum

I really don't think Smart TVs are needed. With so may other options to stream from the ability to stream right on your TV is unnecessary. However, I really think OEMs are pushing it as the only way to get something better than 1080 is to get a smart TV.

I would get a non smart TV, and then hook up some kind of streaming box to it. I have a Shield Android TV and I like it.
Thanks for linking to your previous thread. Can you install android apps directly to your shield android TV box?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I didn't need a smart tv when I bought a new tv last year but I couldn't find a decent non-smart tv with more than 2 HDMI ports, I needed 3 and didn't want to introduce an HDMI switch into the mix.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you install android apps directly to your shield android TV box?
Yes. Some things are a little easier on the Shield. Say Asphalt 8, it's a little easier to control, but I think there is some bugs with the game pad. Shark Evolution is really fun...;)

There are a lot of games that can be played. Netflix is available, you can stream your Play Music and Movies.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't need a smart tv when I bought a new tv last year but I couldn't find a decent non-smart tv with more than 2 HDMI ports, I needed 3 and didn't want to introduce an HDMI switch into the mix.

Posted via the Android Central App

To me, that seems to be another area where OEMs are kinda manipulating Smart TV sales (I know it sounds cynical, but...looks like a duck, walks like a duck...)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
To me, that seems to be another area where OEMs are kinda manipulating Smart TV sales (I know it sounds cynical, but...looks like a duck, walks like a duck...)

I agree. The devices that I wanted to have plugged in (Apple TV, DVR, DVD player) pretty much duplicate the smart TV functions but in order to be able to plug them all in I needed a smart TV! I WILL say that the one thing I like about the smart TV is the "cast" capability, from YouTube anyway...