I want to pass on my iPhone 5S, which still works wonderfully to my wife as her phone has very poor camera performance. That would be the occasion for me to try the Android ecosystem and OS for the first time.

$400-$450 would be about the max amount of money I'd like to spend, but if it is absolutely necessary I may consider adding a little extra.

I'm very unfamiliar with Android as a platform, and it's definitely more tricky to decide what to get than with iOS. I'm leaning towards the Nexus 5X for the stock Android performance, fast updates, price, manageable size (especially coming from the small IP5S) and great camera. The cons I can see so far are the 2GB of RAM which makes me wonder how the performance will be in a couple of years, lack of OIS for videos. No SD card support or removable battery isn't a deal breaker, but down the road might be a useful feature. I can certainly live without these as I was perfectly happy with my 16GB IP5S.

I'd say that my priorities, in order of most to least important, are as follows: smooth performance (nothing more irritating than lag), a guarantee of OS update, great camera performance for casual photography, size (something not too big). I don't play any game on my phone so GPU performance isn't a priority at all.

I'd be willing to look into used phones as well, even if the second-hand market can get tricky.

Any help for a future convert will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    11-25-2015 02:44 PM
    I have an iPhone 5s myself. My Nexus 5 offers a similar performance, so I imagine the 5x would be even better.
    Laura Knotek and vp710 like this.
    11-25-2015 03:13 PM