Why can't I connect to the hotel wifi?

A

AC Question

Can't connect to hotel wifi

I am unable to connect to my hotel's wifi with my android phone or tablet. My girlfriend's android phone and laptop connect without a problem and there's no page popup for accepting terms of use or any some such.
When I input the password for the network on my devices I get the Connected to network notification and the wifi signal strength icon appears but the connection doesn't work.
Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't connect to hotel wifi

Welcome to Android Central! Where are you entering the hotel wi-fi network's password? Do you have to enter it in the wi-fi menu, or in a welcome login website?

DigitalMiha

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

I enter the password in the wi-fi menu. No welcome login website appears on any of the devices I've tried.
Also, I was able to connect to the same network in the lobby with my phone (but not my tablet) but not in my room.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

And sorry for the basic question, but you're certain you're logging into the correct network? Hotels will often have a number of networks, only one of which is intended for guests.

DigitalMiha

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

No worries :) yes, I got the piece of paper with the network ssid and password that you usually get and I'm definitely logging into the right network.
20151204_205455.jpg
Screenshot_2015-12-04-20-55-22.png
Screenshot_2015-12-04-20-56-50.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What comes up when you try to access a website on the browser? Is it just a blank page, or do you get a message that there isn't any network available?

Also, check the Advanced Options for that wi-fi network and make sure it's set to DHCP (instead of static IP), and that the Proxy is set to none.

DigitalMiha

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

I very much appreciate your swift replies!
I don't know what's going on with this network honestly. Now it started working on my phone. On my tablet I get stuck on the Obtaining IP step. I checked both options you mentioned on both devices and they were correctly set.

I am content with having one device that can connect. I asked the staff and they said something about there being a limit of 400 users so it could have something to do with that.

Anyhow, thank you for your help :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I asked the staff and they said something about there being a limit of 400 users so it could have something to do with that.

I was just about to suggest this, then saw that you already know!

Enjoy your trip.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34