How can I disable apps on my Nexus 5 with Android 6.0 without rooting?

pipol123

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
How can i disable apps on my Nexus 5 with Android 6.0 without rooting

I have Nexus 5 with Android 6.0. I would like to disable any app without rooting.
Of course not play store and system apps. Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can i disable apps on my Nexus 5 with Android 6.0 without rooting

Welcome to the forums. Go into Settings>apps. You should be able to pick which apps you want to disable and click on them. You will have to disable one at a time.

(Edit) Mod note: Thread moved to General Help and how to for better traffic.

pipol123

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

This much i know. But how can i set them on Disabled status (you can see which are active and which are disabled). When i click on app in settings i get
2 buttons "UNINSTALL" and "FORCE STOP". It was before a third button "DISABLE" but it is gone on Android 6.0

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Based on your description, those apps you are trying to disable are user apps, not system apps. There isn't any mechanism in Android to disable a user app as if it was a system app.

There IS a new feature called App Standby though. If you don't use an app for extended periods of time, Android will effectively disable it so it will not run on its own.

Why do you want to disable a user-installed app, rather than just uninstall it?

pipol123

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the answer. Some apps run in the background without any reason. I don't like it so would like to start them when I want. I need them from time to time. But maybe i will start to uninstall them.