Nexus 5X Why is OS using so much data?

Steemlives

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello, first off I hope I'm asking this in the correct section. I switched over from an iPhone 6 plus on ATT to the Nexus 5x on Project Fi so I'm not quite fluent with Android.

On to my question. Well i was just messing around in the settings and when looking at my data usage I noticed "Android OS" by itself has managed to use 130mb of Data in just 4 days. And when I check it says it used it in "Background".

Anyone know what this is? I don't want to end up with my data drained within a couple weeks while not even using the phone.

Thank you!
uploadfromtaptalk1449426864329.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449426875273.jpg

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. :)

The first thing to do is to check that your sync and backup settings are all sensibly set. If they are, we can take it from there.

Posted via the Android Central App

Steemlives

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. :)

The first thing to do is to check that your sync and backup settings are all sensibly set. If they are, we can take it from there.

Thank you for the reply! So from what I can tell I have my Google drive to backup\sync everything on WiFi only. Here's the only places i found these options, should I be looking anywhere else?

uploadfromtaptalk1449439703416.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449439717781.jpg

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
That's okay.
I wonder whether something else is being backed up. Look in Settings, Backup & Reset....is Back Up My Data switched on? There's no reason that it should not be, but it may be worth switching it off for a while as a diagnostic.

This may also be something to do with Project Fi.

(I don't recall seeing your first screenshot when I answered your post. I take it you've been doing a lot of Ookla speed tests?)

Last edited:

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my S6 edge. Android OS has burned thru 1gb in 20 days. I used to use 1 to 1.5gb all month on my plan. This seems to have started after the Verizon update that now uses WiFi for phone calls. Might be a coincendence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae