Hi, I have a Galaxy Note 3 which is working fine. I'm considering installing cyanogen onto it for the controllable access feature and, before going down this route with a working phone, I am trying out cyanogen on one that came with it preinstalled.

I am trying to copy my contacts list from one to the other. I can export them to my card in a file now called Contacts_002.vcf (I tried a second time and checked that the file was created on the root of the SD card.)

The other android phone can only see a file .android_secure in the root directory, and reports there is no vcf file on the card, which seems to be true.

Is this because files from Samsung phones can only be read by that phone, or is the problem Android not wanting me to share data between devices?

(NB I don't use a google account so I don't want to know about syncing with google's "only do evil" servers.)
    12-17-2015 08:35 AM
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but you can try an app like the free version of My Backup ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.MyBackup ) to backup the contacts on one phone and then restore them to the other.
    12-17-2015 09:55 AM
    I maybe got the wrong "my backup". This one doesn't seem to do anything about contacts, and needs all manner of inappropriate permissions like location and to make calls and take photos and things. And seems to need the pro version (which costs money, and means giving google your credit card details) to do anything anyway.

Actually I found a solution, I installed MCBackup - my contacts backup - which created a .vcf file with various options for photos, addresses and similar and bluetoothed it across to the other phone, which knew what to do with a .vcf file once it got one. This one asked for access to contacts and memory, which would be logical.
    12-17-2015 10:55 AM
    I'm happy to hear you got it resolved, one way or the other.

The free version of "My Backup" that I linked to in my previous post should have worked. The multitude of permissions are required because it is able to backup far more than just contacts. For example, to back up call history requires phone permission, and so on.
    12-17-2015 11:22 AM