My Messaging icon missing and I can't find a messaging app to in the app list.
    01-01-2016 11:19 AM
    Never mind - Solved!!!
    01-01-2016 01:34 PM
    Could you tell us how you solved it? That might help other people who have the same problem.
    01-01-2016 02:13 PM
    Could you tell us how you solved it? That might help other people who have the same problem.
    Well, I have a Huawei phone too (a P8 with Marshmallow) with the same problem & wanted to know the answer to this myself - this thread came up in a related Google search. Wracked my brains for a few days before I managed to solve it - posting here to help others who might be in the same predicament in the future.

The possible solution(s) below should work with any Huawei phone using the default Huawei Home launcher. Also, the principles are probably the same for any Android phone.

Most people don't know how or why their shortcuts disappear - neither did I for sure. I think it happened to me after erroneously changing some app permissions. Two shortcuts disappeared - the default Messaging & Camera app ones (default apps are usually not re-downloadable or re-installable, so not an option).

Some things I tried before solving it (that didn't work or partially worked), which might work for others with any Android phone:
    • Restarting the phone [no change for me]
    • Restoring the missing app shortcut(s) from the app drawer/tray [not an option for me as Huawei phones with the default launcher don't have an app tray]
    • Resetting the default launcher [couldn't do this for the default Huawei one, as didn't find it initially in the Settings > App list]
    • Changing to an alternative launcher like Nova/Apex launcher & restoring it from the app tray if necessary [this worked for me, but when I returned to the default Huawei one (which I wanted to keep), the missing shortcuts disappeared again!]
    • Checking if the affected apps had been disabled in Settings > Apps (scroll to the bottom), & if yes, re-enabling them [seems to be a common reason for missing icons, but not the case in mine, & the affected apps were still working fine when accessed by other means, like from the 'pull-down search bar']
    • Hard/factory resetting [didn't attempt, as didn't want to go through the process of backing-up & restoring. But, If you are forced to go down this route as a last resort, please make sure to do a thorough restorable backup first (I find Huawei's own HiSuite app fine for unrooted Huawei phones. If you have a rooted phone, then 'Titanium Backup root' app is probably preferred)].

Solution that worked for me: finally found the 'Huawei Home' launcher app in the following location & reset it:
    System > Apps > Menu (near the bottom) > Show system processes (last step is key). Then 'Huawei Home' (launcher) became visible - accessed it > Storage > cleared data & cleared cache. The missing app shortcuts were immediately restored, & to their original positions (i.e. to when the phone was purchased).
    07-25-2016 10:38 AM