i was given an asus memo pad hd7 me173x as a promotional deal at work to promote a new system that we installed. The pad was originally setup to ONLY be used as an interface between the user and the security system, allowing changes to settings...... Basically when you turned on the pad it booted directly to a specific application. I recently began playing with the pad and performed a factory restore and wiped the cache partition. The tablet now boots like a normal tablet, but theres no navigation buttons on the screen(back,home,menu....)has to be powered off to return to home, i am assuming that there was some sort of profile,or script may have been removed, on the tablet to hide the nav buttons due to the fact that they were not needed to navigate in the original app (app had its own ui nav. ) controlling the tablet
    01-13-2016 05:00 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do the nav buttons appear if you swipe down just a little from the top of the screen, ,or up a little from the bottom of the screen?

As a workaround, you could install Handy Soft Keys.
    Welcome to Android Central! Do the nav buttons appear if you swipe down just a little from the top of the screen, ,or up a little from the bottom of the screen?

As a workaround, you could install Handy Soft Keys.
    01-13-2016 08:13 PM
    sorry about the long re delay... the nav buttons are totally disabled and/or non existant. running stock rom 4.2.1
    Attached Thumbnails How can I reinstate Android ui navigation buttons and functionality, currently no nav?-20160114_145534-resized-800-1-.jpg  
    01-14-2016 03:01 PM
    i will give the handy soft keys a shot and post results. ty
    01-14-2016 03:05 PM
    You are the man! It works great, i have been searching the net for root,roms...... to fix this issue. again TY!!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-14-2016 03:54 PM
    Great! I'm not really sure how else to get the native nav buttons back. I wonder if the tablet had some sort of custom ROM installed to lock it down initially. An analogous situation would be a device that was a floor model in a store running a constant "Demo Mode." Those device sometimes have a special demo mode ROM installed, which can be a problem if the unit ends up being sold to someone who thinks it's a fully functional device.
    01-14-2016 05:20 PM