Why can't I sync my contacts?

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I've gone to my Google Account settings and unchecked all options except Sync Contacts and Sync Calendar. Calendar sync'ed, but Contacts returns the message, ""Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." This has been going on for three days. What's the problem and what can I do to fix it? I can't uninstall gmail. Oh, one good thing, I've unsync'ed gmail because I don't want to read my email on my phone.

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
It finally seems to have resolved itself. I finally got a message saying my delete limit had been exceeded. Why I haven't gotten this message for the last three days I do not know. Anyway, it offered me three choices including, "cancel sync," "do nothing," and "delete items." I tapped "delete items" and sync proceeded as it should have. I cannot imagine why this app took three days to give me the message. By the way, I've also gotten a message from Gmail saying I've turned sync off for gmail (I have). I really, really don't want to read email on my phone, but I guess this is not the place to ask how I can stop it downloading.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I cannot imagine why this app took three days to give me the message.
When a Google service has a problem it can take a few days for them to resolve it. (Software's not like cars - it's easy to see a flat tire. It's not easy to see an uninitialized pointer. (Fixing it is usually pretty easy - finding it can take days.)

By the way, I've also gotten a message from Gmail saying I've turned sync off for gmail (I have). I really, really don't want to read email on my phone, but I guess this is not the place to ask how I can stop it downloading.
It will still get push notifications. Delete the email account you don't want downloading.