Backup Application Data?

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Possible dumb question: In Windows most data is stored in the Application Data folder so if I back up what's in there I usually can replace it if something goes wrong. Rather than having a full-on backup program for my Android, is there a way to copy and paste a folder like that from my Samsung Fascinate to a directory on my PC? Or is the whole question irrelevant because of something I simply don't know about? Like, if I break my phone and get a new one do I have to set it up again from scratch anyway? I'm assuming I can restore some things like they were to a new phone if I have a backup from the previous one...

Thanks in advance and if I should just buy Backup Pro or something similar just say so. I figured I'd ask if there was a simple copy and paste solution just in case.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's another thought/question. Today I did a backup of my laptop to an external hard drive. If I had my phone plugged into the USB would I be able to back that data up also? And if so, would the data be restorable?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted you can use Apps like titanium backup to save Apps with data. I'm not sure that there is a non-root solution to backup Apps.
Everything else like contacts and email is. Saved with google.

Root also let's you create a Nandroid, which is a backup of the phone in its current state. It can be stored on the computer and restored whenever you want.

Last edited:

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I believe the "Backup Data" option in Android, the one that backs up to Google's servers can work ..... the catch is the app in question has to make use of it. Does anyone know of any apps that do?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The backup to google servers is a Froyo (2.2)+ perk. When you reset the phone you would be given a prompt to re-install apps from the server. No apps are needed for this that I'm aware of. The advantages to titanium and mybackup is that the data is stored on the sd card so there is no need to re-download them.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MyBackup pro is a popular one but I prefer Titanium Backup, more features like freezing apps.

Both stores data to your SD card and then you can move it to your PC.

christopher9123

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
please help the newbie (me).... 1. What does "freezing apps" do or mean?

2. Will MyBackup backup all application data you have, like saved notes, highlights in "book" apps, widget positions, passwords, etc?

3. Also, when you "ROOT" your phone, do you still keep the same operating system, you just "unlock" it?

4. What's involved on ROOTing? How do you do it? I have the ATRIX with the latest Android release (2.2.1).

Thanks for caring enough to post guys!!

Chris

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
please help the newbie (me).... 1. What does "freezing apps" do or mean? Freezing apps is just another way of stopping the program from running without uninstalling them. For example, VZW needs to have CityID for it to do an OTA update. So instead of trying to find the app, just freeze then unfreeze when it's time for OTA

2. Will MyBackup backup all application data you have, like saved notes, highlights in "book" apps, widget positions, passwords, etc? Do not use MBP so I cannot answer that

3. Also, when you "ROOT" your phone, do you still keep the same operating system, you just "unlock" it? Rooting is the process of giving your device Superuser access, it does not unlock it, it does not allow other carriers on your device, just Superuser Access to allow access to the root system

4. What's involved on ROOTing? How do you do it? I have the ATRIX with the latest Android release (2.2.1). Z4 root is good for Motorola device and you just download from google, then open/install app. Then open it and click root

Thanks for caring enough to post guys!!

Chris
responses in red

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the good responses.

I just rooted my phone and have ClockworkMod 2.5.
Do I even need a backup program like Titanium Pro? Couldnt you just use the ClockworkMod Recovery instead?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2