I am working with a young man who needs a music player, calendar, limited apps who is not allowed to use the internet.
    I would like a phone-type device that is physically unable to connect to anything except a computer via cable. I'm afraid that any software block could be undone as he is a very smart and determined person.
    Any suggestions for how I might achieve this?
    Thanks,
    01-19-2016 10:05 AM
    What kind of phone?

The only way to "physically" defeat Wi-Fi and cellular would be to open the device up and cut the wires to (or remove entirely) the Wi-Fi and cellular antennas. Not very practical, however.

Another option might be to root the device and install a custom ROM. That's still a "software block" but quite difficult to undo. I suppose you might find someone at Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Watches & Android App Development - XDA Forums who could assist with such an undertaking.

I hate to ask, but have you considered an iPhone / iPad? The parental controls are much better; see http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/te...-androids.html
    What kind of phone?

The only way to "physically" defeat Wi-Fi and cellular would be to open the device up and cut the wires to (or remove entirely) the Wi-Fi and cellular antennas. Not very practical, however.

Another option might be to root the device and install a custom ROM. That's still a "software block" but quite difficult to undo. I suppose you might find someone at Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Watches & Android App Development - XDA Forums who could assist with such an undertaking.

I hate to ask, but have you considered an iPhone / iPad? The parental controls are much better; see http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/te...-androids.html
    01-19-2016 10:32 AM
    Actually, the antennas plug into the main board on most devices, so just lifting the plug out would be enough, unless he put the phone right up on the router - then wifi would work even without an antenna. To physically disable wifi and cellular (which would also disable voice and text), you'd have to damage the main board in just the right way - which you'd need a service manual to figure out (which isn't available), so the practical answer is "you can't".
    01-19-2016 12:40 PM
    Actually, the antennas plug into the main board on most devices, so just lifting the plug out would be enough, unless he put the phone right up on the router - then wifi would work even without an antenna. To physically disable wifi and cellular (which would also disable voice and text), you'd have to damage the main board in just the right way - which you'd need a service manual to figure out (which isn't available), so the practical answer is "you can't".
    Yeah, but if he is as smart as indicated, he would figure out how to plug the antennas back in. Better to remove the antennas entirely - that would give a great deal of protection.

On the other hand, unless also destroy the connectors that they plug into, it would be a fairly simple matter to purchase replacement antennae and plug them in...

Honestly, this may be a place for an iPhone / iPad with iOS' superior parental controls...
    01-19-2016 12:50 PM
    Can you just not give him the wifi password? Public wifi would still be a problem. Maybe pull the SIM card?
    01-19-2016 01:29 PM