Instant Email notifications on work wifi, but not on home wifi?

A

AC Question

Hi everyone,

First of, my phone is a Lenovo K3 Note running Android 5.0.

When my phone is connected to my work wifi, I get an instant notification when a new Email comes in. However, when I'm connected to my home wifi, there are no Email notification at all until I refresh the 'Email' app.

Anyone know why this is the case?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
We need more info.

IMAP or POP3 email account?

What refresh interval do you have set on the email app?

(If it's IMAP and 0 or push, contact your ISP - they may be blocking a port you need for push notifications. [Whatever reason they have, if they're doing it, isn't good enough - they have to learn to live with email push.])

Valachio

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
All of my Emails are Gmails. I searched Google for IMAP/POP3 and I'm guessing that my Emails would be IMAP?

Refresh intervals is set to 30 days of sync. I don't think this is the issue since all incoming Emails on my work wifi give me an instant notification.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't guess - look in the left column on Google Contacts to see if you have [Imap]/Sent and [Imap]/Trash folders. If you do, it's IMAP (which it should be).

If you're using the GMail app, you don't have a choice of sync interval (how often to sync, not how old to keep, which is what "Days of email" does. If you have a refresh interval on the app you're using, and it has no "push" setting, set it to "off" - that's push. It doesn't ask the server if there's any new mail, the server pushes new mail to the app.

Valachio

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I can't post an image because I don't have enough forum posts, but I don't see [Imap]/Sent or [Imap]/Trash

I see:
My contacts
Starred
Most Contacted
Others Contacts
Director
New Group...
Import Contacts...

EDIT: Cant' post links but I managed to attach an image

Attachments

• d61e99e16b55905a9cacbe10dd3faf83.png
    d61e99e16b55905a9cacbe10dd3faf83.png