Upgrading from the HTC One M8, What new smartphone should I buy?

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
A quick Google search brings up a lot of other posts from people asking the same thing about those phones, but none have any positive results. Sorry bud, but it looks like you're out of luck and not even a root method exists to get 1080p 60fps on those two phones. At best, I saw some claim the 6p could record 1080p 120fps slow motion. If that's true, then you would have the option of converting that to 60fps with some video editing.

Aw man :( Well maybe I will just have to get the LG G4 with its rear speakers that don't sound good at all :(

EricHjelm

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Just don't do the Nexus 5x.
I would regret getting it more so if it was more expensive.
But part of me wishes I had gone with the M9 like I originally planned.
I know you are asking what TO get.
But take that off your list and it's one fewer option, haha.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
why are you obsessed with 1080p @ 60 FPS? you're not shooting pro video using a Phone. and 30 FPS is fine. Blu-ray does 24 FPS and its smooth.

No one knows why the Moto X doesn't have an LED light. You would need to call the design and tech team at Lenovo/Motorola and ask them WHY.

Benchmarks mean NOTHING. absolutely Nothing. Zero. Ziltch.

Get an iPhone 6S. it shoots 1080p/60 or slow-motion 1080P @ 120 FPS.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
why are you obsessed with 1080p @ 60 FPS? you're not shooting pro video using a Phone. and 30 FPS is fine. Blu-ray does 24 FPS and its smooth.

No one knows why the Moto X doesn't have an LED light. You would need to call the design and tech team at Lenovo/Motorola and ask them WHY.

Benchmarks mean NOTHING. absolutely Nothing. Zero. Ziltch.

Get an iPhone 6S. it shoots 1080p/60 or slow-motion 1080P @ 120 FPS.

I woudn't say I am obsessed with 1080p 60fps video. I speak for everyone when I say every smartphone in this day in age should have 1080p 60fps video recording. It is total bs the Moto XPE and Nexus 6P can't record 1080p 60fps :mad: Tell me mayconvert, Is the snapdragon 808 adreno 418 better than snapdragon 801 adreno 330 real world performance?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
who cares which processor is faster. you aren't buying a processor, you are buying an entire phone. that phone either works for you, or it doesn't.
there are too many other factors that decide the speed of the phone and it has NOTHING to do with benchmarks.

How much is the OS skinned?
Is it raw android?
What screen resolution?
Etc etc etc.

The Note 4, when released, was the KING of specs. and it lagged like a POS dog.
A 2014 Moto X with 1/4th the specs was 10X smoother than the Note 4.
(the Note got better, MUCH LATER, with updates)

You say that a phone "in this day and age phones should be able to to 1080p/60"
You aren't looking at a $800 top of the line phone.
You are looking at a $399 phone.
Why do you expect a $399 phone to be able to do EVERYTHING an $800 can do and match it spec for spec?

You asked what phone should I buy, but you are comparing ONE $399 phone vs your M8 that isn't all that old, but was way more expensive when it first came out.
No one can tell you what phone to buy. Get a samung S6. it does 1080p/60. and its 2560x1440 and only 5.1"
Get an iPhone 6S. it's 4.7" and does 1080p/60 (you said you didn't want a big phone)
HTC V10, Sony Z5 / compact,

The HTC V10 does 2160P and 1080p @ 30fps, but I will bet a dollar vs a pinch of crap the video will look better from the V10 vs the HTC M8 with the M8 craptastic camera.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I was in a similar boat... Camera features and video quality was one of my most important criteria. As an assistant scout master for the local boy scout troop, I ALWAYS film and photograph all the troop outdoor adventures. I physically can not carry a proper DSLR or dedicated Cam-corder in my pack, as we trek through rain, mud, and hail (yes it has hailed on some adventures!!). So far the LG V10 has not let me down. It will do 1080p / 60fps or turn it down to 30fps if you like. You can use the digital steady-cam feature at 1080p / 30fps. It will also do 2160p / 30 fps.

You mention having an LED alert. the V10 and I think the other LG phones too, has a setting to blink the flashlight with incoming calls and txt. It got annoying so I turned it off.

Problem with the V10 is its HUGE !! I can not state it enough. I thought I could get used to the size... nope

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
who cares which processor is faster. you aren't buying a processor, you are buying an entire phone. that phone either works for you, or it doesn't.
there are too many other factors that decide the speed of the phone and it has NOTHING to do with benchmarks.

How much is the OS skinned?
Is it raw android?
What screen resolution?
Etc etc etc.

The Note 4, when released, was the KING of specs. and it lagged like a POS dog.
A 2014 Moto X with 1/4th the specs was 10X smoother than the Note 4.
(the Note got better, MUCH LATER, with updates)

You say that a phone "in this day and age phones should be able to to 1080p/60"
You aren't looking at a $800 top of the line phone.
You are looking at a $399 phone.
Why do you expect a $399 phone to be able to do EVERYTHING an $800 can do and match it spec for spec?

You asked what phone should I buy, but you are comparing ONE $399 phone vs your M8 that isn't all that old, but was way more expensive when it first came out.
No one can tell you what phone to buy. Get a samung S6. it does 1080p/60. and its 2560x1440 and only 5.1"
Get an iPhone 6S. it's 4.7" and does 1080p/60 (you said you didn't want a big phone)
HTC V10, Sony Z5 / compact,

The HTC V10 does 2160P and 1080p @ 30fps, but I will bet a dollar vs a pinch of crap the video will look better from the V10 vs the HTC M8 with the M8 craptastic camera.

I care about what processor is faster. I want to know what real world performance is between sd 808 and sd 801? What is real world performance between Adreno 418 and adreno 330? The Nexus 6P is a $500+ phone and it does not have 1080p 60fps video recording :( mayconvert it is total bs the moto xpe and the nexus 6p can't record 1080p 60fps video in this day and age :mad:

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I was in a similar boat... Camera features and video quality was one of my most important criteria. As an assistant scout master for the local boy scout troop, I ALWAYS film and photograph all the troop outdoor adventures. I physically can not carry a proper DSLR or dedicated Cam-corder in my pack, as we trek through rain, mud, and hail (yes it has hailed on some adventures!!). So far the LG V10 has not let me down. It will do 1080p / 60fps or turn it down to 30fps if you like. You can use the digital steady-cam feature at 1080p / 30fps. It will also do 2160p / 30 fps.

You mention having an LED alert. the V10 and I think the other LG phones too, has a setting to blink the flashlight with incoming calls and txt. It got annoying so I turned it off.

Problem with the V10 is its HUGE !! I can not state it enough. I thought I could get used to the size... nope

Yeah the LG V10 is a huge phone. I don't want to buy the LG V10 because of its ridiculous size.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
get whatever you want. there is no Real way to quantify the real world difference between those 2 processors. it will be which phone has a more optimized OS. and 808 with a bad skin will be slower than an 808 with no skin ( vanilla android )
at this point you are beating a dead horse. and the question is pretty dumb.
You wanted to know what phone should I buy. here it is. if it won't do 1080p @60fps. don't buy it.
Now go to GSM areana and look at specs until you find a phone in your price range and does 1080p/60 and then pick.
Easy. The moto is NOT the phone for you. it will not do what you want. NEXT.

I think this is just a troll post at this point. opting out of this stupidity. bye.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
get whatever you want. there is no Real way to quantify the real world difference between those 2 processors. it will be which phone has a more optimized OS. and 808 with a bad skin will be slower than an 808 with no skin ( vanilla android )
You wanted to know what phone should I buy. here it is. if it won't do 1080p @60fps. don't buy it.
Now go to GSM areana and look at specs until you find a phone in your price range and does 1080p/60 and then pick.

I think this is just a troll post at this point. opting out of this stupidity. bye.

My question is not dumb. You are being ignorant. I am not trolling and I am not opting stupidity. Stop talking crap about me and just help me out like a nice person. :mad:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The phone you want simply does not exist.

You are going to have to pick which aspects are you willing to compromise... No one can make that determination but you, because its your subjective preference(s) at hand. I made the choice myself and went with the V10 and am paying for the size penalty. Although overall its really not a penalty in that the LGV10 even with the bulky otter box case is still smaller and lighter than any other smart phone paired with a DSLR or cam corder. So overall in terms of what I am carrying in total, the V10 still comes out ahead, given how I intend to use the device.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
The phone you want simply does not exist.

You are going to have to pick which aspects are you willing to compromise... No one can make that determination but you, because its your subjective preference(s) at hand. I made the choice myself and went with the V10 and am paying for the size penalty. Although overall its really not a penalty in that the LGV10 even with the bulky otter box case is still smaller and lighter than any other smart phone paired with a DSLR or cam corder. So overall in terms of what I am carrying in total, the V10 still comes out ahead, given how I intend to use the device.

How are the speakers on the V10? Do they sound loud and clear?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Its one speaker on the bottom is loud and clear enough for me. The only thing I use it for though is the GPS driving directions. The only time I've ever had a problem hearing it is when I was driving 4 screaming idiotic 5th grade girls (UGH) on a school field trip and I had to tell them to quiet down so I could hear the GPS. 99% of the time I use headphones or in ear monitors though.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

Ok real quick question, what new phone do you recommend that has 1080p 60fps video recording?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc