Why is changing IMEI illegal if I own 2 devices and 2 IMEI numbers?

A

AC Question

Why is changing IMEI illegal if I own 2 devices and 2 IMEI numbers? Honest Ques

I understand how and why IMEI spoofing or using the IMEI of a device not completely owned by myself is illegal.

What is illegal about using the IMEI # from a device I own with another device I own?

The only actual "law" I have seen anyone mention is the "Mobile Device Theft Deterrence Act" (S.1070). This bill was not passed into law; it is currently in committee.

IMEI changing "law" seems to be a pervasive rumor. Does anyone have information on the exact US law and enforcing body?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why is changing IMEI illegal if I own 2 devices and 2 IMEI numbers? Honest Ques

I don't have any specific information by contribute, sorry. But this begs the question: What possible legitimate reason would you or anyone have for changing the IMEI? The only thing I can think of is 2 identical phones and parts from one are used to fix the other. Maybe not even in that scenario.

Last edited:
May 16, 2015
Visit site
It can be used to aid a dangerous activity. A vastly oversimplified explanation/comparison; person A bets person B they can't do something, they do it and don't get paid, so they beat up person A. This happens repeatedly with many people, so to try curbing the battery activity, they made i will reward you if you beat my challenge illegal. There is alot of rules/laws like that, you can't have a headlamp colour simliar to a cop's, be in a public park after dark, do sparring practice during lunch.

As for a legitamite reason, if i have a phone, it breaks and i buy a new phone and wish to keep my old and new history together i could swap numbers.

califauna

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why is changing IMEI illegal if I own 2 devices and 2 IMEI numbers? Honest Ques

I don't have any specific information by contribute, sorry. But this begs the question: What possible legitimate reason would you or anyone have for changing the IMEI? The only thing I can think of is 2 identical phones and parts from one are used to fix the other. Maybe not even in that scenario.

Maybe because they don't agree with the idea of living in a surveillance state? The government knows where you are practically at all times thanks to your IMEI and other hardware identifiers. Companies also know practically everything about you if they have enough of their software installed on your phone and those apps have access to unique hardware identifiers like IMEI and others. Not to mention that this information is all inacurate in the case of any phone which is running more than one profile/account, eg in a family.

I think the interesting question isn't why some people might want to delete or change IMEI numbers or end their very existence, rather why we tolerate them in the first place.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt