Does Google map navigation GPS work inside a tunnel?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Does Google map navigation GPS work inside a tunnel?

What happens inside the tunnel? How do you know to exit correctly?

Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you can still see the guide line and follow it even though your car's position doesn't update.

This, and it's not really a Google problem. GPS signals don't penetrate very deep into structures and underground, so you'll loose tracking on long tunnels no matter if you're using your phone or stand alone GPS unit.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
This... the map remains but the arrow stops moving at the entrance. It picks up again once you exit. I would imagine (logically) the longer the tunnel, the more severe the interrupt.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
This: "How do you know to exit correctly?" sounds like a 5 year old wrote that. I have never driven in a tunnel that had more than one exit. Unless maybe he is talking about mine tunnels which may have many turns and many exits.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This: "How do you know to exit correctly?" sounds like a 5 year old wrote that. I have never driven in a tunnel that had more than one exit. Unless maybe he is talking about mine tunnels which may have many turns and many exits.

Sorry my English is quite poor. What is the correct English to ask my question? (Just wish to learn more English. :) Thanks )

vashekcz

May 7, 2016
Visit site

Let me assure you, there definitely are road tunnels with many exits where it would be useful to have navigation that can estimate your position in the tunnel to guide you to the right exit. As an example, follow the tunnel in my home town of Prague, Czechia: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.1136688,14.4347336,16z

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

The Big Dig in Boston has exits in the tunnel.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
OK, I stand corrected. I have never seen any of those and in my country (USA) I have never heard of a tunnel that had many exits. But they may exist here and I am sure someone will let me know. (Thanks Hallux) To answer the first post, I suspect that most GPS signals can't penetrate the earth above the tunnel so you loose that feature while in the tunnel. Maybe some tunnels may have a GPS receiver installed outside the tunnel which then sends the signal with wire to a receiver inside the tunnel and then uses a transmitter that re-broadcasts the GPS signals to your car GPS receivers or smartphones.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe some tunnels may have a GPS receiver installed outside the tunnel which then sends the signal with wire to a receiver inside the tunnel and then uses a transmitter that re-broadcasts the GPS signals to your car GPS receivers or smartphones.

The problem is that still only places you at the entrance of the tunnel. I guess people will just need to pay attention to the road and the road signs instead of relying on technology while inside the tunnel.