In order to edit a text doc I have to copy the doc from external storage to the tiny internal storage, edit, save and move it back. This is true of many of my apps - they won't save to sd card. I can manually move files there but I can't save there. I won't root the phone.
    Is there another way to fix this? It makes the phone useless and has kept me from considering a tablet until I find an answer.
    01-30-2016 04:48 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The ability to save directly to the SD card is dependent on the app. It might also be due to your version of Android--KitKat had some significant SD card restrictions implemented for security, which were subsequently relaxed in later versions of Android.

It sounds like you may just need a phone with more internal storage. Budget phones that have only 4-8 GB of internal storage (which means only 1-4 GB available to the user) get filled up very quickly, and should not be expected to do much else besides act as a basic phone. These days, if you want to install games and all manner of social media apps, you'll need at least 16 GB of internal storage. Some would even say that 32 GB should be the bare minimum.
    02-01-2016 02:11 AM
    The ability to save directly to the SD card is dependent on the app.
    Hi B. Ditty
    Sorry for necro-posting but I found this and thought you might have an answer to my question.

My Android Version is 6.0.1

Can you recommend a free text editor that can save to SD Card?
    Or maybe advise me on getting "Memo" to save to SD Card?

Thank you!

Steve
    10-10-2018 02:53 PM
    I don't know for sure, but I've seen a mention that ColorNote can save notes to the SD card -- but I don't know if they mean that it'll just save backups to the SD, or if it will actually save individual note files to the SD. ColorNote has been around for a while, and is generally well-regarded, so it's worth a try.
    10-11-2018 12:01 AM
    I don't know for sure, but I've seen a mention that ColorNote can save notes to the SD card -- but I don't know if they mean that it'll just save backups to the SD, or if it will actually save individual note files to the SD. ColorNote has been around for a while, and is generally well-regarded, so it's worth a try.
    Thanks.
    I'll give it a try.

Steve

EDIT:
    Tried ColorNote. Works well, looks nice, but couldn't find any way to change or view options and also not able to find the files anywhere using My Files > Device Storage ...

However ... I had tried an other one yesterday and saw it's data folder there.
    It's called JotterPad and the folder it creates is called JotterPadX.
    And ...
    Inside of that folder are the individual *.txt files for each note / memo / document.

So, problem solved.
    I can just move them the the SD card and do manual backups when ever I want.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-11-2018 07:55 AM
    The original poster's problem is one of the things that make Android so hard to use for business users. Apps that just will NOT save to an external device like SD cards or external drives. This alone has caused me to still use a PC. I have been told that the reason is for security but that doesn't seem to be the case for all apps does it?
    10-11-2018 01:44 PM
    The original poster's problem is one of the things that make Android so hard to use for business users. Apps that just will NOT save to an external device like SD cards or external drives. This alone has caused me to still use a PC. I have been told that the reason is for security but that doesn't seem to be the case for all apps does it?
    I can't see how security could have anything to do with it.
    10-11-2018 04:11 PM