Application opening/closing

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up my first Android phone a few days ago. I have a couple questions about app management.

1. Is it normal that pretty much every application I've ever used in in the list of running apps in Settings/Applications/Manage Applications? If this is not normal, how do you close an app when you're done with it? I've noticed that only a couple apps I use have a "Close" or "Exit" feature.
  2. Also, if you open an app, then jump to the home screen, what's the quickest way to get back to the app you just opened? I always end up having to just navigate back to the same page I used to open the app in the first place and re-open it. Is there a better, quicker way?

In case it matters, I have a HTC Droid Incredible.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
One of the biggest hurdles new Android user have a hard time with is "closing" an application. The short answer is don't worry about it. Just hit your home key, or back out of an application. Android will handle closing the app for you if/when needed.

The easiest way to jump back to your app is holding down the Home button. It will come up with a list of recently used applications.

Reactions: danthman

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
... Also, if I may add - getting back to previously open webpage … place the browser app on your "Home Screen" one tap and you're right back on the webpage you were last viewing. Plus, tapping menu + windows gives you the last four webpages being viewed.

Last edited:

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
when you open an app and then hit home when you are finished, you leave the app running in the background. if you use the back button to leave the app it closes the app (just like an exit button). either way is ok as android will shut applications down when it needs the resources for something else. however if you want to conserve battery, always back out of an app.

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
when you open an app and then hit home when you are finished, you leave the app running in the background. if you use the back button to leave the app it closes the app (just like an exit button). either way is ok as android will shut applications down when it needs the resources for something else. however if you want to conserve battery, always back out of an app.

Oh okay, so backing out does close the app. I wasn't really sure if it did or not. There are some apps where this isn't practical, though. Like the browser, since the back button goes to the previous page you visited. (Dolphin, which I use sometimes, isn't a problem because it actually has an Exit feature.)

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
yeah, the browser is the one app you can't back out of. i always navigate to google and then just hit home.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae