Need help! Recovering missing/deleted photos on Nexus 6P?

Mojobaggins

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Need help! Recovering missing/deleted photos on Nexus 6P

Took part in a 17 mile run and took a bunch of photos with my Nexus 6P. Even posted one of the photos on Instagram. I ran with the phone in a belt pouch with Runkeeper and Strava running. At the end of the run, I found a whole bunch of apps open and swiped them closed(this has happened in the past due to the phone being bounced/rubbed around while running. Runkeeper and Stava worked fine and saved my run. When I went to check my photos that I had taken, they were all gone from Google Photos and my Camera gallery except in Google Photos, the IG photo was saved.

What happened? And is there any way of recovering them? I disabled sync and have not turned on the wifi on the phone to prevent the phone from overwriting anything that may still be in memory. The phone is unrooted. I have tried Wondershare Dr.Fone for Androiid with no success and it suggests to root the phone. I really would like to recover these photos if possibly.

Have downloaded some other recovery programs but thought I can view the phone's files using Windows Explorer, these programs do not show the Nexus 6P as a drive to be scanned, only the hard drive on m pc. I have the phone in USB MTP.

fwiw - I noticed using Windows Explorer in the DCIM/Camera foldder there are some photos(look like just thumbnails based on size) from yesterday but when viewing them, they are actually thumbnails/pics from Friday though the date stamp was 2/27. Wonder if things are also corrupted.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need help! Recovering missing/deleted photos on Nexus 6P

Unfortunately, if the photos are gone, they are ore than likely really, totally, completely gone and unrecoverable.

Do you have access to a PC (or even your phone's own browser)? Go to https://photos.google.com/login and log in with your Google account info. If you have photo sync/backup enabled (which you really, really, should), you may still find your photos there.

Mojobaggins

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

The phone was not connected to wifi during the run, so no photos would have been synched to my Google Photos til I got home. And I have disabled cellular data, wifi and sync so as to not overwrite anything on the phone.

Remembered that Android does not allow to be recognized as a USB Mass Storage Device. I found this program(MTPDrive) that allows you to map a MTP device as a Virtual Drive.

So far, Programs do not recognize the drive but Windows Explorer does.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

The phone was not connected to wifi during the run, so no photos would have been synched to my Google Photos til I got home. And I have disabled cellular data, wifi and sync so as to not overwrite anything on the phone.

Remembered that Android does not allow to be recognized as a USB Mass Storage Device. I found this program(MTPDrive) that allows you to map a MTP device as a Virtual Drive.

So far, Programs do not recognize the drive but Windows Explorer does.

Not true.

Connect your phone to a PC via USB cable. Make certain phone is powered on and unlocked. Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected" then tap "File Transfer Mode" (the words may not be exact, but that is the gist of it).

You have to repeat each time you connect to PC.

Mojobaggins

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

Not true.

Connect your phone to a PC via USB cable. Make certain phone is powered on and unlocked. Drag down the notification bar and tap on "USB Connected" then tap "File Transfer Mode" (the words may not be exact, but that is the gist of it).

You have to repeat each time you connect to PC.

On Marshmallow, it's MTP and not USB Mass Storage.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

On Marshmallow, it's MTP and not USB Mass Storage.

That is true, however in this context the difference is meaningless.

Due to the way Android manages memory, if your pics really were deleted, they will almost certainly be impossible to recover. The moment you did anything at all with your phone (let alone installed one or more new apps!) you more than likely overwrote the memory space which had been previously occupied by the photos.

Recovery apps only stand a chance to work (and a small one at that) if they were already installed on the device prior to the accidental deletion and if you are super careful to not do anything with the device between the moment of deletion and the moment of attempted recovery.

I have seen lots of people come to this site and others begging for help recovering "important" photos and never once seen them cheer as they accomplished the task.

PS: Congrats on the 17 mile run! My wife did a half-marathon last summer and is now planning a full marathon later this spring.

Mojobaggins

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

Thanks!

Well, I do have cellular data turned off, sync off, wifi off. And have been trying to scan/recover from my pc that's why I've been trying to trouble this USB connection to get these programs to recognize my Nexus 6P as a drive. Still don't understand how all of the photos taken yesterday just disappeared. Normally, you have to delete each photo individually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis