Hello all,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Verizon and I'm always looking for ways to improve battery life since I use so few features of the phone (call/text/camera, a weather widget, Gmail, Google Maps, that's about it).

In the Power saving mode settings, I see an option called "Restrict Background Data". I've Googled around and found some information but none of it recent so I wanted to ask a few questions.

1.) Does this apply only to mobile data or also wifi?
    2.) What qualifies as background data? For example, I would assume calls/text do not but would my weather widget still update at its specified intervals and would Gmail tell me of any new emails?
    3.) Will this affect my ability to get OS updates from Samsung and updates via Google Play?
    4.) How much battery life does this actually save?
    03-03-2016 01:36 PM
    1.) Does this apply only to mobile data or also wifi?
    Restrict background data applies to mobile data. From my Note 4 manual... your S5 manual should state the same...
    Restrict background data: Restrict some apps and services from working unless you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.

2.) What qualifies as background data? For example, I would assume calls/text do not but would my weather widget still update at its specified intervals and would Gmail tell me of any new emails?
    When you go into power savings and click on Restrict background data, you'll be presented with a pop window which basically explains what type of things are going to be restricted... Playstore downloads, music, videos, youtube, mms, etc.

3.) Will this affect my ability to get OS updates from Samsung and updates via Google Play?
    Concerning the OS, basically, you would only be notified of an update if there was one, and in that notification, you'll be advised to update via wifi.

4.) How much battery life does this actually save?
    In my opinion, running power savings is a waste of time. The best advice I can give is get yourself a spare battery (or two). Use your phone full blown... and swap batteries when you need to. I normally rotate my batteries out every few charges. However, when I forget to charge, I just swap a fully charged battery into my phone and away I go!
    03-03-2016 03:39 PM