I'm on the AT&T network. Cricket, actually, but really AT&T.

Branded phones (like T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.) have all kinds of brand-related apps that I know I would never use, so I plan on going on eBay and buying the "un-branded," "international version" of the GSM phone I want.

Are there reasons why an unbranded, international version of either the Samsung Note 4, or the Samsung Edge Plus would NOT be a god idea on the AT&T network?

Has anyone here had any experience with those unbranded, factory-unlocked, international versions? Any anomalies? Like not understanding local/international prefixes, etc., or other oddities?

Or will they work beautifully?
    03-05-2016 09:15 PM
    I thought about doing that... Ebay is such a haven for cell phone scams (and scams in general). I would research the seller thoroughly first. If the handset is defective or not honestly represented by the seller, there's nothing the carrier can do for me. Myself being a novice, I would really be up a creek and completely at the mercy of the phones seller. Being the parent of an autistic boy, I really don't have the luxury of living without a cell phone for any length of time. I need a phone solution that has the greatest chances of working.
    03-05-2016 10:09 PM
    Check the specs of the phone on a site like GSMarena. They cover frequencies the phones use.

If the frequencies look OK, find a forum for the phone and ask.

The Find 7 worked on TMO, but had no band 12. The Moto X Pure and some of the other Motos are almost pure Android and do work.

AT&T is another story and I have not used their services, but I have seen posts in other fora where the user does have a different phone.

Amazon sells unlocked. Motorola and some of the others sell unlocked from their respective web sites.
    03-06-2016 07:22 AM