I have a "new voicemail" flag which will not go away, how can I get rid of it?

I have tried sending myself another voicemail and deleting everything that looks even vaguely like a voicemail but to no avail. There was a suggestion that I get to it via the settings menu but the third stage did not match what was suggested so I could go no further. Someone suggested deleting something in the system menu but that looked dangerous and I did not want to brick my phone so I did not follow that. Any other ideas? The offending voicemail seems to be of zero length, which is probably the problem.

Harry
    03-15-2016 05:34 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? By voicemail flag, do you mean an unread count badge on the Phone icon?
    03-15-2016 01:40 PM
    Hello B Diddy,

I can not find a reply to mine of a few weeks ago where I sent you the info you asked for regarding my phone. I was going away on a protracted trip so was unable to pursue the matter right there and then. Since then I have been plagued by this "new voicemail dial 901" flag.

To reiterate, the phone is a Moto X and what I mean is that when the phone is switched on (from sleep) there are usually two or more flags across the screen, one telling me that the sim card is not from Verizon (I know that but it is not a problem and the phone was cheap), another that I have a new voicemail and others which vary but are most usually about updates that may or may not be needing my attention. The new voicemail is the one which is a problem as there is not a new voicemail but I do not know it is lying unless I look which wastes time and probably money as I have to dial 901 to find out what it is about. I would dearly love to remove it.

How can I achieve it please. I have tried sending myself another voicemail and deleting everything that looks even vaguely like a voicemail but to no avail. The offending voicemail seems to be of zero length, which is probably the problem.

Yours, Harry
    05-07-2016 04:41 AM
    I don't know which carrier you are with, but I've turned my Moto XPRE off and on a couple of times to reset, and I wind up with a message about a new voicemail every time I do. If it is a real voicemail, you should be able to get it from your carrier, but these things that Moto leaves seem to be bogus. There is just an icon or a text and no message.
    05-07-2016 08:48 AM
    Exactly. It is a message of no length but it is a nuisance. I want rid of it. I am with GiffGaff (O2 but cheaper). It appeared while I was trying to get a failed tracker to work. The tracker was supposed to send texts but not voicemails.

Harry
    05-07-2016 12:07 PM
    Isn't Verizon "generally" a carrier thats not very user friendly when it comes to unlocked phones? So you're using a non carrier unlocked phone, a non-carrier SIM card on one of the least user friendly "unlocked" networks. Seems to me like there's a lot of potential for compatibility issues.

Pretty sure Verizon only uses cellular data for voice mail downloads. If network coverage is spotty I have found voice mails won't always download consistently. I will get the notification, but I am unable to download it to my phone till' I get a better signal. I wonder if theres some conflict with GiffGaff in this regard?
    05-07-2016 01:42 PM
    Well maybe, Kramer5150 though O2, here, is by far the best coverage of all the options. So you think that ditching the phone is the only option eh? Perhapse I shall just have to live with it and just hope that no one leaves me an important voicemail as I shall ignore it as I have learned to do.

Harry
    05-07-2016 03:36 PM
    Well maybe, Kramer5150 though O2, here, is by far the best coverage of all the options. So you think that ditching the phone is the only option eh? Perhapse I shall just have to live with it and just hope that no one leaves me an important voicemail as I shall ignore it as I have learned to do.

Harry
    No I wasn't trying to imply that at all. I mean any one of those elements (and/or the app itself) could be a bottle neck.

Curious, how are you using a NON Verizon sim card on their network? Whos card is it? I have always thought "V" strictly forbids this... and you have to pay for their card.
    05-07-2016 04:05 PM
    I have my Moto XPRE on TMobile. It will show 3 carriers. TMO, ATT, and Verizon.

I think it has to do with VOLTE handoff. ("Wifi" calling)

AFAIK, Sprint doesn't use that LTE frequency yet.
    05-08-2016 08:56 AM
    Hello Kramer 5150. The phone was bought from a Hong Kong dealer on the advice of a friend who had recently bought one from that source and was very happy with it. Until this little occurrence I was very happy too. The current card is from GiffGaff which piggy back on the O2 network though I have tried others in it including O2, ASDA (Vodaphone, I think) Orange and 3. Don't ask why I have all these different cards, it is a long sad story and that story is part of the reason I got the flag in the first place. So there you have it and I still have that pesky flag when I turn the phone on, Grrr

Harry
    05-09-2016 11:05 AM
    On a carrier phone (Verizon), you could try going your Settings= Applications; slide over to All and find the Voicemail app. Select it, and then choose Clear cache, Clear data, then Force Stop (in that order). Now start your Voicemail app and see it clears. If not, again on a carrier, you can call into your Voicemail, put in your password and listen to the menus and see if you could find Turn notifications on/off....if this exist, turn off, hangup, go back and turn notification back on. Again, these were carrier settings in USA. If not, it may be just an anomaly of using an unlocked carrier, versus just a plain unlock phone. You may have to live with it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-09-2016 10:03 PM
    Thanks KeepitReal.

I don't understand "slide over to All" I can not find the "voicemail app". The nearest I can find is Moto Voice

Harry
    05-10-2016 03:41 PM
    Well my last question was not answered but no matter, this morning I turned on the phone and the flag was not there. Whoopee!!

Now the phone is "upgrading" Android. I do hope that does not mess anything up. These updates so often do. It is currently optimising apps. Most of them I do not want on there anyway but am unable to delete them, why do they do that. They definitely do not benefit from them as I never, never respond to adverts, and they just **** me off. Why would 74 year old Englishman who hates all team sports and computer games and who is none too keen on the Yanks, want an American football game eh? And I am unble to delete if from my phone...Grrr! The update completed a couple of minutes ago and for a minute I thought the "sim card is not from Verizon" flag had gone away but it has come back again. Boo!

Harry
    05-21-2016 04:49 AM