I've been on WP for the last 4 years and am now thinking of moving to Android.

I'm looking at all the various devices and some are on Lollipop, some on Marshmellow, some have manufacturer layers and bloatware, some dont...

From what I understand, Nexus are the cleanest, and Marshmallow is the latest.

But, where i get confused is, if I get a Xperia Z5 (for example), can I upgrade the Lollipop it comes with to Marshmellow? If not, how come?
    And if not, am I stuck with Lollipop forever? What would I lose out on?

Finally, how can I tell if a manufacturer has hacked the OS to bits, or if I'm getting a clean version?

Thanks
    03-19-2016 06:59 AM
    Welcome.

Google Nexus devices run the pure version of Android OS. Other devices will show some customisation of the OS, the degree of which varies among the different manufacturers.
    Whether a particular device receives the latest version of the OS at any particular time, or at all, depends on the device, and in the case of carrier-locked phones, the carrier.
    It may be possible to install custom ROMs on devices no longer receiving OTA upgrades of the OS.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2016 08:34 AM
    Well, I've decided to jump in. Getting the Xperia Z5...
    Hope it's a good move!!

Sent from mTalk
    belodion likes this.
    03-19-2016 02:03 PM
    Cool deal... Welcome to Android. My first android phone was an Xperia Z3. I got a GREAT deal on it through Verizon. The only thing I didn't like about it was it had thermal / overheating issues when recording 4K video on warm ~85F+ days. Even then, it was a very minor problem since I don't have any way to display 4k, so 1080P was my main setting. Other than that... no problems.

Invest in a good case though, glass case-backs can be fragile.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-2016 03:56 PM