I have a few questions for anyone familiar with the Samsung Galaxy J series, specifically the J3. I have virgin mobile, and after a long time suffering with their HTC Desire 510, I want to upgrade, and not wanting to spend $400 on a galaxy S5 , the J3 seems the next best phone to get. However, as I've grown used to having a rooted phone and customizing my phone as much as I want, etc, I want to make sure my next phone can be rooted, and has support for custom ROM's, etc.

The main thing that could help me with my decision would be some guidance as to whether other versions, the J2, J5, J7, etc, that are present here would be potentially compatible with the J3, or if I'm out of luck and should consider other options if rooting is a necessity for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    03-21-2016 07:35 AM
    I have a few questions for anyone familiar with the Samsung Galaxy J series, specifically the J3. I have virgin mobile, and after a long time suffering with their HTC Desire 510, I want to upgrade, and not wanting to spend $400 on a galaxy S5 , the J3 seems the next best phone to get. However, as I've grown used to having a rooted phone and customizing my phone as much as I want, etc, I want to make sure my next phone can be rooted, and has support for custom ROMs, etc.

The main thing that could help me with my decision would be some guidance as to whether other versions, the J2, J5, J7, etc, that are present here would be potentially compatible with the J3, or if I'm out of luck and should consider other options if rooting is a necessity for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Welcome to the forums. Samsungs are getting more and more difficult to root. The rooting methods I found for the J3 were temporary, meaning once you rooted, upon reboot the root access is destroyed.

The Nexus 5X is on sale until the 26th. The 16 GB is $50 off making the device $299 before taxes. This phone can be rooted, and has lots of support for it.

I had a hard time trying to find something that was in a similar price range and still able to be rooted. A used Motorola Nexus 6, was the first thing to come to mind.
    03-21-2016 10:43 AM