[SOLVED] Phone Activation After Flashing a new ROM

k1492

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
First, I want to thank all the folks on this site. I used the info here to successfully root and load a new ROM onto an older phone. I'm having one issue though and that is activating the phone. (Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.)

* Originally, the phone was my Sprint (CDMA) Hero running stock Eclair.
* I switched to an Epic several months ago so the old Hero sat dormant.
* My wife also has a Sprint Hero but running stock Cupcake (yes, I know, old!)
* I wanted to load my old Hero with a new ROM (aospMod | AOSP 2.2.1 (Froyo) [12/10/2010]), which I did successfully.
* Now, I want to activate my old Hero as her phone. I did the activation process on line, but the phone hasn't transferred. I've only waited about an hour and tried the manual steps but they are really relevant since it isn't stock.
* Is this potentially a problem of not having the phone activated before flashing the new ROM? My old Hero still contains my phone number in the phone status which may be part of the problem but I don't know how to clear.

Any suggestions? I've considered reflashing it back to stock (using a good backup which I've even tested), attempting the activation, then once again flashing back to my most recent backup but would like to avoid that if there is a shorter route. TIA.

Last edited:

k1492

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I apologize for asking and now answering my own question but thought others would want to know. The phone DID have to be on a Sprint ROM in order to update the Profile. So I...

* Made a Recovery backup of my custom ROM image.
* Flashed back to my Sprint stock backup (you did make a back up of your stock ROM after rooting didn't you?).
* Updated the Profile under Settings -> About Phone -> System Update
* While there I also updated the PRL.
* Made another backup (just in case) of the stock Sprint.
* Flashed back to the custom ROM using the first back up in this list.
* All better; making phone calls now.

Hope this helps someone else.