New to Android. I have a little-used GMail account, but prefer not to have Google track my every move. When I went through the setup procedure for my new phone, I said I didn't have a GMail account. I was then asked if I wanted to set up a non-GMail account, which I did. At the end, it asked if I wanted to set up "another" GMail account.

So my question is - did I just make my non-GMail account into a GMail account? Is my email going through Google's servers?

It's the email account associated with my Internet service provider, not Outlook.com, Yahoo, or Hotmail.

OTGL
    03-31-2016 10:56 AM
    Hello and welcome to Android central. When you set up your new Android device you need a Google account so that you can login to the various Google services *play store, maps etc). If you do not wish to use a Gmail account as your Google account login, that is perfectly fine. Google has no visibility into a non Google email.

Posted via the Android Central App
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-31-2016 02:01 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You probably just associated that non-Gmail account with your Google account, which doesn't merge the email--it just allows you to sign into Google to use other Google services.
    03-31-2016 03:13 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I'm still not really clear on how this works. What am I logging into? I wasn't trying to download apps or anything, just access my personal email.

What is a Google account, if it's not Gmail?
    04-04-2016 08:53 PM
    Google has a wide range of apps and services that you can access, including Gmail (which is specifically for email), Calendar, Drive, the Play Store (including Play Music, Play Books, etc.). In order to access any of that, you need to have a Google account. Although many people will simply use the associated Gmail account to log in, you can also associate any email address with the Google account. So if you register for a Google account using a Yahoo email account, you would then log into your Google account using that email address. If you don't like or don't want to use Gmail, you could also then delete the Gmail address that gets created automatically with the account. Read more here: https://support.google.com/accounts/.../1728595?hl=en
    04-04-2016 10:57 PM