53 123
tools
    Holy caffeine overdose batman!
    SpookDroid and makaroni like this.
    04-07-2016 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the extensive guide!
    ironass likes this.
    04-07-2016 03:41 PM
    I wanted to try helium but it requires a program on your computer that elicits a virus warning.
    04-07-2016 07:58 PM
    I wanted to try helium but it requires a program on your computer that elicits a virus warning.
    It would seem that your PC's anti virus is giving you a false positive in that case as Helium is used by millions of people worldwide.
    04-08-2016 03:24 AM
    It would seem that your PC's anti virus is giving you a false positive in that case as Helium is used by millions of people worldwide.
    Oh I know that. I just wish it worked without a computer.
    04-08-2016 08:11 AM
    I see nothing wrong with a guide to help people protect their data.

For years I have seen "I only had photos of my son being born on my phone but the phone is broken now how do I save them?" -- Happens a LOT and it is scary since a good amount of people may not think about backing things up until something like that happens.
    The guide is extremely helpful and informative, it's just the way he posted it. Sounded like he was wired up on Red Bull or Monster energy drinks before he typed it...that's all
    Vivek31 likes this.
    04-08-2016 08:25 AM
    I haven't been on the Samsung train yet (will do once the Note 6 is out), but on my LG G4, there's something called "LG Backup".

It's a pretty comprehensive little tool. Backs up apps, data, documents, photos, media, call logs, contacts, messages, and system settings plus a few others.

I'm not sure if Samsung and other OEMs have the same tool, but I think every manufacturer should do the same. It eliminates the need for rooting when it comes to app backups and is also a pretty comprehensive tool.

I guess Smart Switch kinda counts for Samsung?
    04-08-2016 09:22 AM
    The guide is extremely helpful and informative, it's just the way he posted it. Sounded like he was wired up on Red Bull or Monster energy drinks before he typed it...that's all
    Exactly! One would have though the start of WWIII was at hand. Dude, it's a phone!
    makaroni and Vivek31 like this.
    04-08-2016 09:33 AM
    In my view, ironass's tone is very much tongue-in-cheek. But I can't deny that there's some level of frustration among those of us who frequent these forums looking to help people, and encounter unfortunate situations that could have been avoided by simply following some of these basic backup or sync methods. I've seen countless posts from people who lost their priceless and sentimental photos or other files, only having had them stored on the phone itself.

Also, for many people, it's not just a phone--it can be their peripheral brain, their family photo album, their livelihood, and their lifeline. For those kinds of people, backup is crucial. For people who only use a phone to make calls, then I agree--it's just a phone.
    H3aTeRzz, ironass, Trees and 1 others like this.
    04-08-2016 10:36 AM
    The title and the whole format of the thread was carefully designed and thought out to get people to read it. Experienced users that already back their phone's up would realise this within 20 seconds of starting to read.

However, those who have not backed their phone's up, (trust me, there are millions of those worldwide), would now understand the urgency in backing up and the reasons for doing so and the consequences to them of not backing up.

My original title... "Your Android phone and why you should take precautions and backup your data and photographs in case of damage, theft, loss or being locked out", just didn't seem to be enough of an attention compeller for most of these people.

So, I decided to go for the famous Orson Welles radio play of 1938, War of the Worlds, panic approach and grab peoples attention from the get-go. Judging from my critics on here... it works perfectly!

OK, the experienced ones of you on here probably wasted 20 seconds of your time that you'll never get back again. On the other hand, think of all those who have not backed up their phones, who will now do so and possibly save all their precious data and photos as well as countless hours of frustration and numerous posts on here. As I stated in an earlier post, "If it saves just one poster from losing their precious data/photos, then it will have done its job."

Therefore, I make no apologies for either the title of the thread, or the way it is written... because it obviously works!
    B. Diddy and anon(632115) like this.
    04-08-2016 11:45 AM
    So what you're saying is that the Martians are our new overlords, right?
    ironass likes this.
    04-08-2016 03:22 PM
    So what you're saying is that the Martians are our new overlords, right?
    Compared to the bunch of clowns we have in all political parties in the U.K.... Martians would be good!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-08-2016 03:27 PM
    Ok, thread moved to General Help forum and stickied!
    ironass likes this.
    04-08-2016 03:39 PM
    That's happened to me a few times and I respond the same way, ehh.
    04-08-2016 06:41 PM
    If you're pushing people to use cloud storage, at least give them a secure option, like Mega, who offers 50 gigs for free, and it's extremely secure. Sync.com is another secure option that starts you out with 5 gigs for free.
    04-08-2016 06:48 PM

Use Helium or Helium Pro backup from the Play Store

Use My Backup or My Backup Pro from the Play Store
    How do these backup tools compare to LG Backup & Restore for unrooted phones? I have an LG G4, bootloader locked.
    04-11-2016 09:49 AM
    You don't auto back up your phone?
    how can i turn it auto back up? i use the google accound but i have to back up by my own
    04-12-2016 04:18 AM
    How do these backup tools compare to LG Backup & Restore for unrooted phones? I have an LG G4, bootloader locked.
    I cannot give you a comparison as I have never owned an LG phone or used their Backup & Restore. The tools I have mentioned in post #1 are considered by many to be the best generic ones on offer.
    04-12-2016 11:46 AM
    how can i turn it auto back up? i use the google accound but i have to back up by my own
    I do not know which model of phone you have or what firmware you are running on it but there should be, in Settings, a Backup & Restore feature.
    04-12-2016 11:50 AM
    I do not know which model of phone you have or what firmware you are running on it but there should be, in Settings, a Backup & Restore feature.
    thank you. i've found it. but it just backup my phonebook ad, what about my photos and apps back up? can i do anything for it?
    btw, i'm using samsung note 3 now.
    04-14-2016 11:37 PM
    I'd make sure your Google account is set to sync everything (it barely backs up anything but what the heck), then I'd try Titanium, Helium, or My Backup (actually I'd do at least two of these). Then I'd put SMS Backup and Restore. Then I'd make sure Google is syncing photos with http://photos.google.com/. This works even if you use a photo app like QuickPic (which, unlike the terrible Google Photos app, doesn't need to have an internet connection to show thumbnails for photos already on the phone GRRRRR!).
    04-17-2016 09:47 AM
    Thank you ironass for this extensive guide on backups. I have some suggestions!

I think at this point I'd toss Samsung Kies. There is a showstopping design flaw in that the entire backup is a single data blob. If even one mistake is made during the backup, Kies will steadfastly refuse to restore ANYTHING. My partner personally experienced this and lost absolutely everything. Samsung Smart Switch, the replacement for Kies, does not have this shortcoming.

The thread provides a great list of different backup solutions and then suggests using "2 backup methods". Because the backup methods aren't grouped, people may not realize that the different suggestions backup different parts of the phone. I'm anal-retentive about organizing things, so I might break it down like such...

Comprehensive backup solution (choose 2):
    • Samsung Smart Switch
    • Titanium (or Titanium Pro)
    • Helium (or Helium Pro)
    • My Backup (or My Backup Pro)

Backup important files, photos, etc. directly (choose 1):
    • Setup DropBox or Google Drive and pick folders on your phone to sync.
    • Connect your phone directly to your PC through USB2 (or USB3) and transfer photos, ringtones, videos, etc. directly.

Backup text messages (the above options sometimes fail or are incomplete):
    • SMS Backup and Restore

General backup guides:

To get a complete backup of your phone, pick at least 3 or preferably 4 solutions above (one from each group) on a regular basis and before attempting anything that might result in data loss such as a Factory Reset.

Of course these are just my ideas as one guy who is very new to the wild west of the Android "ecosystem". Your mileage may vary. Batteries not replaceable. See carrier to drop off flaming bag of dookie.
    04-17-2016 09:58 AM
    Photos are compressed/resized with standard Google drive account iirc. For that reason also good idea to backup photos to pc/Mac/NAS or a different cloud service.
    04-17-2016 03:01 PM
    Thanks for getting this info out.
    I jest sent everything from my Galaxy S5 to my puter via usb & windoze copy. Is that a usable backup...or a waste of ~20 min?
    05-13-2016 05:05 PM
    Thanks for getting this info out.
    I jest sent everything from my Galaxy S5 to my puter via usb & windoze copy. Is that a usable backup...or a waste of ~20 min?
    It is a good backup but as per post #1, should be used in conjunction with another 1 or 2 backups, such as Smart Switch and Google Backup, for instance.You can never have too many backups.
    05-14-2016 04:36 AM
53 123