ES File Explorer not saving host file entries

Meadowlea2

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have an unrooted Motorola G, 2nd Gen with Android 6 Marshmallow.

Hello,

I am trying to use ES File Explorer to block unwanted websites.

I went to / Device -> System -> etc -> hosts [chose text funtion then ES Note Explorer] and entered the sites I want to block: 127.0.0.1 [ES File Explorer automatically inserts a period after the "1". Is this standard?] followed by the site URL. For example, it looks like:

127.0.0.1. facebook.com
127.0.0.1. cnn.com
etc...

The source I read explained this could be done on both a rooted and unrooted phone.

The problem I am running into is a save error. The entries will not save.
Is Marshmellow compatible with this method of website blocking?

If you can help, I'd be grateful.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Hello,

I am trying to use ES File Explorer to block unwanted websites.

I went to / Device -> System -> etc -> hosts [chose text funtion then ES Note Explorer] and entered the sites I want to block: 127.0.0.1 [ES File Explorer automatically inserts a period after the "1". Is this standard?] followed by the site URL. For example, it looks like:

127.0.0.1. facebook.com
127.0.0.1. cnn.com
etc...

The source I read explained this could be done on both a rooted and unrooted phone.

The problem I am running into is a save error. The entries will not save.
Is Marshmellow compatible with this method of website blocking?

If you can help, I'd be grateful.

Welcome to Android Central!

You more than likely need to be rooted to write to that system folder.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site

Your 'source' is very mistaken (emphasis on 'very'), your phone has to be rooted to do this. Find a more reliable source with more credible info. The Host file resides in a protected, restricted, system level directory so while your file manager can open it and view it, without root privileges it cannot save any edits you make to your Host file.

If you do want to root your Moto G, keep in mind that once rooted you take on more responsibilities in the every day upkeep on your phone. Be really judicious about sideloading any random APKs, always try to verify the source of whichever ones you do sideload, and keep your apps up to date through the Play Store. If your carrier is continuing to push out updates to you, once your phone is rooted you should not rely on OTA patches any more, you need to keep your phone updated on your own. Also give more thought into your browsing habits, at least be more selective if you tend to just click on random links and such. Un-rooted your phone had a sort of quasi-insulated state where most (not all) web-derived exploits would be restricted to just the general data partition, things could only get screwed with in a limited way. Once rooted, your phone's operating system becomes more vulnerable. So just be judicious.
That said, if you do root your phone than tasks like editing (and being able to save of course) the Hosts file won't be a problem.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g-2014/general/guide-root-moto-g-2nd-gen-2014-t2874245

https://theunlockr.com/2016/03/28/how-to-root-the-motorola-moto-g-lte-2nd-gen/

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney