New guy needing some advice

Austin3_16

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
What is the difference between Root and phone unlock by my carrier?. (Root Checker app says "root not properly installed". New to all software stuff.ZTE 820,OS 5.1 Other weird stuff that I don't understand has been happening also. Please help a mechanic in Phoenix,Az.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Austin! Welcome to the AC Forums!

Root is opening your phone's system files for modification. It's like leaving the vault door of a bank wide open. If you do this, you can install apps and modifications that make deeper changes to the phone and cad add extra functionality. However, like the bank analogy, it's not without risk since you might end up modifying critical files or leaving your phone more open to hacks/attacks.

A phone being 'unlocked' only means that it's no longer tied up to a specific carrier and will let you work with any SIM Card (or IMEI registration if you're using a CDMA phone/network) of any supported network.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, but if it doesn't, don't be afraid to ask! :) We're all here to help :)

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Root gives you greater permissions to access or change files on your device. These permissions are blocked initially so you're less likely to accidentally turn your device into a brick. But for those who are comfortable with manipulating files, root allows an extreme amount of customization possibilities.

Check this out for more info: http://www.androidcentral.com/root

Carrier unlock just means that your device isn't restricted to use on just one carrier...so you can take out your TMobile SIM card and pop in one from AT&T and everything will still work.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi Austin!

Short story:

1. Root - is gaining special access to things on your phone that the carriers and manufacturers didn't intend for you to have (and they often have very good reasons for this, by the way). NOT IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH LOCKED OR UNLOCKED BY CARRIER.

2. Locked/Unlocked by Carrier - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d-why-do-carriers-lock-them%2F&token=BrVzJUJX

Rooting is not for everyone. I would recommend, not rooting, but that's just me.

Hope this helped you in some way!

Chris

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this to General Help, since it wasn't an introduction per se.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Austin, welcome to the forums at Android Central!
I see Spook and other members already helped you.
Enjoy and have fun while learning in these forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20