Honor 5X hangs when rebooting after EMUI upgrade

crispo07

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I own a Honor 5x no-brand.

First thing I did with the phone was unlock the bootloader, install TWRP and root it.

Yesterday morning the phone notified me about an available upgrade to EMUI 4.0, which I did with the updater of the phone itself. According to the phone the update was successful. When the phone rebooted itself, it got stuck at "honor" in white with black background. and won't continue booting.

I tried the following solutions:

Put the telephone in Fastboot & Rescue Mode and connect it to HiSuite (the phone says "Phone unlocked" and "FRP Unlock"). HiSuite does not recognize the phone, even though Windows installs the drivers. In HiSuite he only available option was System Recovery wich started but then it immediately said the phone is not supported.

I downloaded 2 different firmwares e copied Update.app to a folder called dload in the SD root. I pressed both volume buttons and the power button. The installation started but then returned the error "Installation Failed" in both cases. I did this with the USB cable disconnected as I read it won't work if it is connected.

In the Huawei eRecovery menu (which I accidentally discovered playing around with the volume buttons and the power button) I tried an update through WiFi. It apparently connected to WiFi (I tried 2 wich I connected the phone to when it was working) but then it said it couldn't connect to the server.

In the same menu I tried cleaning the cache (which it seems it worked) and to wipe everything and restore to factory settings. Actually it started formatting, until 15%, then jumped to 100% and showed a message during a fraction of a second that I believe said "100%" and "Success" (it disappeared too fast to be sure). When I rebooted the phone nothing was solved.

ADB does not recognize the phone, Even though I could reinstall TWRP I couldn't reboot to recovery as the phone is not recognized. I reinstalled ADB but no luck.

Power button + volume up does not take to TWRP.

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think if you see "Huawei eRecovery", it overwrote TWRP so you won't have it. Have you tried getting into the bootloader again to flash TWRP back on there? I am guessing it's gone...

As for the data on your phone, I can't be sure... I do remember reading that Honor did some odd things with the bootloader/recovery. But at least try to get TWRP back on there. Then, at minimum, you'll be able to grab a TWRP flashable stock ROM for it over on XDA Developers.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... I just kind of got myself into the same situation. :) Yeah, eRecovery means you overwrote TWRP.... problem is that even though I flash TWRP in the bootloader, eRecovery won't go away.

I'll have to investigate.

crispo07

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you!

You mean with the command fastboot flash recovery xxx.img in ADB? Already tried that. Is there any other methos I don't know?

crispo07

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes LeoRex, eRecovery it's all I got.

However, luckily Amazon has an excellent guarantee policy LOL :D A new Honor 5x is on its way.

Should I apply the EMUI4.0 upgrade or should I wait? Maybe apply without unlocking the bootloader first?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... this is a very twitchy phone... it must have the stock Honor eRecovery image stored on a protected partition somewhere on the phone, and it'll load it back at even the slightest provocation. What you have to do is

a) try to boot it into the bootloader by holding down the power and volume down button. Once you get there (white screen, Android dude)
b) reflash TWRP (fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-kiwi.img)
c) reboot using 'fastboot reboot' while holding down the volume up button.

If you go back into eRecovery... go back into the bootloader and try to flash TWRP again... flash it twice even... just keep trying.

Eventually, I was able to get TWRP loaded and booted up. I tried a couple of stock-based ROMs and it would just pop me back into the bootloader and reload eRecovery. So I snagged one of the CM-based ROMs over on XDA and a nano open gapps pacakge and loaded that up.... and it finally booted up. So there appears to be an issue with those stock-based ROMs.

Now that I know I have a recovery path (as messy as it is), I will experiment with the stock stuff.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you LeoRex, very useful post. Amazon agreed to replace my phone but it's still useful to know just in case...

Yeah, I got mine in a bit of a state, granted, it was completely my doing of course... But it did clue me in that the H5X is a bit fussy when it comes to the system software... not something to go messing with for the faint of heart. That it goes in and tries to undo any system modifications like that can lead to trouble. But I was at least able to get out of it and get the phone up and running again.

furoru

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
hello, for some events, I accidentally click the side buttons of my Huawei GR5 device and then on the screen it shows EMUI Huawei software installing DO NOT unplug usb or press any key. I don't know what happened. It just stuck at 0%. Can you help me with this, please

Chirag Kalaria

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I got mine in a bit of a state, granted, it was completely my doing of course... But it did clue me in that the H5X is a bit fussy when it comes to the system software... not something to go messing with for the faint of heart. That it goes in and tries to undo any system modifications like that can lead to trouble. But I was at least able to get out of it and get the phone up and running again.

Hey Leorex,
Nice to see your post. I have done TWRP installation and flashing all noghut roms like Ressurection remix, OASP , Linage OS, but after successful flashin when phone starts it goes to boot loop. I have tried all methods available, catch clean, dalvic cathc clean, wipe data, reboot etc.

But, issue persist.

Pl help.....

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey Leorex,
Nice to see your post. I have done TWRP installation and flashing all noghut roms like Ressurection remix, OASP , Linage OS, but after successful flashin when phone starts it goes to boot loop. I have tried all methods available, catch clean, dalvic cathc clean, wipe data, reboot etc.

But, issue persist.

Pl help.....

The 5X is not really a good choice for custom ROMs... Huawei includes several failsafe modes, including one that overwrites any modification you made to the recovery and other system partitions. You can load everything perfect but you as much as look at it wrong and things break. I ended up loading 100% full on stock. It's been sitting in a drawer for months now though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol