How do I remove ads off my home screen and trends from my text boxes?

13thforsworn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
As of this week my phone has gotten some strange new "features". The first thing I noticed was that whenever I started typing in a text box (i.e. text messaging app or Facebook messenger), a little bar with "trends" would appear under it (2nd picture). I don't know where it came from, and I looked through my settings to see if I could disable it, but to no avail. The second thing I noticed was today when I went to unlock my phone, my lock screen would be completely different, and it featured an ad (1st picture). My lock screen is suppose to be just my background photo, the time, and a pattern to unlock it. Again, I looked through my settings to disable this but nothing seemed to do anything. I'm assuming my phone has some kind of virus or some rogue app is doing this, but I don't know which one because I haven't downloaded any new apps and I'm pretty sure I haven't clicked on any fishy links. Does anyone know what I can do about this?
http://imgur.com/a/N8gfy

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You have an app problem. This app had permission to view your texts and change your settings, and probably a few others that you don't know about. You have to find and eliminate the app that's causing this. If it started recently you may have installed something recently or an app may have updated. Hopefully it the former. Open your app drawer and sort by recent and look at the first 5 apps. That's where I would start. Go to the Play Store and look thru the reviews for those apps. I'd mainly look at the low reviews and see if anyone is complaining about them for this problem. Hopefully you find complaints and it's all done. If not look for an app called airpush. It looks at apps and their permissions and it may lead you to the problem.

VidJunky posted via the HTC M9

13thforsworn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
So I figured out which app it was, and unfortunately it's an app I use very often. GO Keyboard lets me type in languages besides English, which is a feature I require. I don't suppose there's a way to deactivate certain features of apps if they don't explicitly let you do so in its settings, right?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately no. Doesn't GO offer paid versions of their apps? If they're ad free that might be something.