I'm currently playing a few games like Game of Dice, Empires and Allies, High Sea Saga, and it isn't heavy graphics wise (see pic for example of graphic) but my device gets really hot even though I'm not charging it. It usually gets that hot only when I play and charge it. What could be wrong?

My device becomes too hot!-pirate-attack-board-map.jpg
    05-11-2016 12:01 AM
    While to you, this doesn't look like a graphic-heavy game, you have to remember that every single pixel still needs to be drawn/rendered by the GPU and CPU. Every color, every texture, everything you see. A lot also depends on what phone you have and it's components. How hot is your phone getting? Install Aida64 to read your temps. My temps range from 135 - 145F playing Riptide GP2 for 1.5 hours straight, and my Note 4 will get just as hot playing Chess as it will playing Riptide GP2.
    While to you, this doesn't look like a graphic-heavy game, you have to remember that every single pixel still needs to be drawn/rendered by the GPU and CPU. Every color, every texture, everything you see. A lot also depends on what phone you have and it's components. How hot is your phone getting? Install Aida64 to read your temps. My temps range from 135 - 145F playing Riptide GP2 for 1.5 hours straight, and my Note 4 will get just as hot playing Chess as it will playing Riptide GP2.
    srkmagnus likes this.
    05-11-2016 06:17 AM
    I agree with nohaku. It may not seem like a graphic intense room but it may actually be using more CPU than you think. What device are you using?
    05-11-2016 10:09 AM
    I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S5. Hmmmm I'll try getting Aida64 to check for the temperature then I'll get back to you once I know.
    05-11-2016 09:04 PM
    See the glitter on the blue figure on the right of the table? Flashes like that, while short in time, are VERY graphic-intensive. In fact, filling the screen with a fire that has popping little "dots" could cause your phone to overheat. Second Life had reams of articles on that.
    belodion likes this.
    05-11-2016 11:01 PM
    Oh I see so it really has nothing to do with the looks of the game but with how it becomes loaded? So let's say minecraft (for lack of a better example) is filled with blocks but could potentially become more graphic intensive then let's say Diablo 3. Not saying it is, but saying it could be possible.
    05-12-2016 09:07 PM
    I 've used s5 , it really hot though running light applications. My advice is to immediately switch s6 or s7 to use
    05-12-2016 09:37 PM
    Oh... Sucks to be me then, I just got an s5 too lol. Just to check Lee there is no problems with the s6 or s7 getting too hot? I'll assume it gets hot, but hopefully not TOO hot.
    05-15-2016 08:25 PM
    Also keep in mind processors are often all or nothing systems. When it gets a command to execute, it's more than likely going to do so at full throttle. Since games require almost constant commands (especially for drawing the graphics), your processor will run full tilt on even low end games.
    05-16-2016 08:32 PM
    Is there a way to make it not so hot?
    05-17-2016 11:29 PM
    Is there a way to make it not so hot?
    Any advice to minimize overheating problems on phone?
    I put a link up in post #2 for Aida. What you consider "hot" may not be hot at all but normal for the phone. Unless you both post temps, no one can determine if your phone is actually hot. Phones and tablets also have sensors that will possibly shut down the device, or at least give you an over-temp notification if it gets too hot. Is this happening with your phones?
    06-14-2016 06:14 PM
    So we can just read the temps of our devices. But is there an actual way to at least minimize it even just a bit? Any advice?
    There really isn't much you can do as far as I know. Possibly limiting your play time might help. Another consideration is what kind of phone you have. If it's a lower end device, then it may need to work harder while gaming... translate this to more heat. The problem is that all these devices use passive cooling... there are no fans. Design of the phone, capabilities, speed, hardware, even cost, etc, etc, etc, really determines how well your phone can handle heavy processing.

For me, I actually limit my play time. I know my devices get hot, so that's about all I can do. Sorry, there's not much advice I can really give you.
    07-13-2016 03:48 AM
    If you root your phone, you can possibly undervolt it. Without going into the tricky details, it runs the processor at a lower than normal input voltage. This generates less heat and also increases battery life. How to do it can vary by phone and it may not be possible on all phones.
    07-13-2016 05:10 AM