I'm trying out a pair of Jaybird earbuds, which can be used for phone calls. There are times when I'd like to use it for a call, but not always To turn on the the BT capability for the Earbud is a 4 step process, ie... >> Select settings, select BT, select settings for the specific device, select Phone Audio.

Is there a way (a widget?) to make that a one step process? That would make it a lot easier when needing to go hands free while on a call.

Not that it should matter, but I'm currently on a HTC M8 HK. Hopefully will be sporting a Nexus (?) later this year, or early next... :-)

Thanks,
    David
    05-31-2016 11:36 AM
    I think you misunderstand.

There is no reason to turn it off (if that is what you are doing). I've used JayBirds for a few years now and I simply pair them and ensure that both "Phone Audio" and "Media Audio" are checked. If a call comes in while listening to music, the music will pause and the call will ring through to the earbuds which I can then answer by pressing the center button on the control pad (or on the phone itself). When the call disconnects, the music restarts where it left off.

To make a call while listening to music, just tap the center button on the control pad and then follow the prompts.

When finished with the earbuds, just turn them off (long-press the center button until you hear "power off"). Next time you want to use them, long-press the center button until you hear "power on ..... headphones connected" and then start your music app or whatever.
    05-31-2016 11:49 AM
    N4Newbie,

Thanks for the response. The concern / issue isn't about using the earbuds for a call when music is playing, it's more about selecting when I do want to use the earbuds for phone calls. Most of the time I prefer to simply use the handset, I know... it's old fashioned :-) but when I need to be hands free, that's when I want the ability to quickly toggle the Phone Audio option on or off.

Thanks
    David
    05-31-2016 12:04 PM
    Okay, I assumed that if you are already listening to earbuds, taking an incoming all on them would be painless. Are you saying that in many cases you'd rather not do that?

Well, you have the option of simply turning off the earbuds (or disabling Bluetooth by dragging down the notification bar) when you hear a call ring through into them; then the call will automatically re-route to the phone.

I suppose you might be able to create the desired icon using Tasker (search the Play Store) but I'm not sure it has the control structure you would need. Don't pay for it until you have checked that out.
    05-31-2016 12:11 PM
    Just to add - I haven't tested this yet but pretty certain - if your phone rings and you were not already using the earbuds, or even if you are in the middle of a "handset" phone call, I think you can simply grab the earbuds, long-press the center button until you hear "power on ..... headphones connected" and at that point the remainder of your current call will automatically redirect to the earbuds.

So, again, it is always just a matter of turning the earbuds on or off; there is no need to mess with the pairing settings at all.
    05-31-2016 12:22 PM
    Okay, I assumed that if you are already listening to earbuds, taking an incoming all on them would be painless. Are you saying that in many cases you'd rather not do that?
    No, they're just sitting on the desk, powered on, and a call comes in that I don't want to answer with the earbuds.

Well, you have the option of simply turning off the earbuds (or disabling Bluetooth by dragging down the notification bar) when you hear a call ring through into them; then the call will automatically re-route to the phone.
    I did not know that about BT, thanks!

So it sounds like the best options are to swipe down through the notification for handset use (quickest solution), or to keep the earbuds powered off until needed, power efficient but slower. I'll try the 1st option, as well as seeing what happens with the long press when in the middle of a handset call to switch to BT on the Jaybirds.

Thanks again for you help.

David
    05-31-2016 12:49 PM
    I use my JayBirds at the gym 5 (occasionally, 6) mornings a week about 90 minutes each time. They are in "power off" mode until I place them in my ears and they go back to power off when I finish my workout and head for the shower. They easily last the entire week on a single charge.
    05-31-2016 12:58 PM
    Hi David. What N4Newbie is suggesting may be the best option. However, if that's the route you go a Bluetooth widget can be added to the desktop saving you that step of going into the notification shade.

Tasker can automate by caller id's or location. So that's something to consider if you feel that's worth looking into.
    05-31-2016 02:10 PM
    Also, once you answer a call you can simply tap the BT icon on the call screen and select the audio device to use for the call.

Widget to control Phone Audio for a Bluetooth Earbud?-screenshot-may-30-2016-7-59-04-am-.jpg

The screen cap. doesn't show it as a BT icon as I wasn't using BT for audio at the time, it's the far left icon.
    06-01-2016 07:55 AM