I keep getting the audible message: when it's safe you'll first need to...

A

AC Question

When I'm listening to music and move my phone into and out of my pocket, I get the audible message "when it's safe you'll first need to use your phone's screen and tap the notification then you can let the Google App access some things on your device." This message happens several times. There is no notification that pops up on my screen.

The problem happens consistently for a few hours, but then goes away at other times.

I've turned off several things on the Google App, but this message persists. Also, I have restricted access intentionally on some items, and I don't want to grant additional access to the Google App, but I also don't want to keep hearing this message. It's very annoying.

I'm using a Nexus 5, OS 6.0.1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Accessibility​. Is anything there checked on, like TalkBack?

jrmcdaniel01

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm using a 3rd party app (Spotify and Podcast Addict). As a reminder, more importantly than figuring out why it's happening, I just want to turn the audible notifications off--I thought I've turned any audible notifications off, but this keeps happening. If you just tell me how to disable the audible notification, I will not need to figure out why it is happening and we don't need to go into further diagnosis.

jrmcdaniel01

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Also, you may ask me about headphones next, and I'm using the same pair I've used for over a year without this happening. They seat firmly into the jack and are not obstructed by the case. This only started to happen since the last few OS updates. As I mentioned above, I only wish to turn the notification off, not diagnose the source of the problem. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The reason I was asking about the apps you're using is that it may be helpful to know if you want to turn the notification off. If we don't know what app is causing the notification, then it'll be hard to figure out where to look for the option.

This is a bit of a headscratcher since I've never heard or seen that notification before. It sounds unusual for an actual stock Android notification (seeing as you have a Nexus device), so I'm wondering if it's some 3rd party app.

Is what you typed in your post the exact message you hear, or are you paraphrasing?

jrmcdaniel01

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I've typed in the audible message verbatim as I've heard it. It sounds like the standard female google voice. I have heard this message while listening to both Podcast Addict and Spotify--so it doesn't seem like it's a particular app causing the message. It's also in the standard "Ok Google" voice, which leads me to believe it is from the OS.

jrmcdaniel01

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
No, I don't use any driving apps. 1. The voice is DEFINITELY the standard google female voice. and 2. It says "then you can let the Google app access some things on your device." Either it's an App impersonating a google app message and verbally calling itself the google app, or it is a real google app audible message and no one wants to acknowledge it or no one knows how to turn it off. If it's #2, then it HAD to have been embedded into the OS. I just want to turn off the audible notifications and I've tried deactivating everything I can find.

This other post mentioned a similar message as well:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/nexus/IRhETLSOTT0/8fD4duPHDQAJ

I'm positive that this is something the Google app is intending to be used with some type of wired headset. It would've had to have been programmed into the OS to use the Google voice. I'm positive other people have experienced this as well. I just want to turn off the audible notifications.

Eric Leytonstone

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I keep getting this spoken message too. Not only is it irritating but it's highly unsafe. It's supposed to be a safety warning, but in fact it's far louder than what I'm actually playing at the time. I'm astounded that no service people in any Vodafone shop I've visited will help me with it. Sometimes it just keeps repeating, and as other posters have noted, it can't just be a few phones. Can anyone solve this problem?

svabbios

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Happens to me too. Im using a iphone headset and it seems to be the only headset that triggers it. Also this message only started playing after i turned the microphone permission off on the google app because it kept auto triggering the voice search. This seems to be a related problem to that. Im also using a nexus 5 with the latest update.

LRSCH

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I get the same message too!!!
Just like jrmcdaniel01, it is when I'm using my headphones, and I put my phone in my pocket! I have an LG G3 and I'm listening to an audiobook with the HOOPLA app
And like svabbios, I was getting a different message before, so I disabled some stuff on the Google App.And now I get this new message.
Help! This is extremely annoying.
Thanks.

512bikes

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Sorry dude, same here...
God ******* dammit this is annoying. Fix your ****, google. No one at google will even acknowledge and own this. Quit ******* around.

kellyelly79

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
This is EXTREMELY frustrating. I'm having the exact same issue. Could someone help, please?

This all started because something was cutting my podcasts off. I'd have to keep pressing play. Eventually there'd be a bleep noise and the "listening..." screen, then another bleep and it went away. Over and over. I wasn't speaking, but i had earbuds in with a microphone.

So, I go turn everything off that I can. I open the Google app, click settings, choose 'Voice', and turn off bluetooth headset, Disallow hands-free for bluetooth and wired headsets, and set speech output to hands-free only (rather than 'on.' not sure what that'll do). There is no "Ok Google" toggle or option. Completely absent.

Some people said to go to Google Assistant to change the settings for Ok Google, but I haven't allowed Google Assistant any permissions yet (so I can't change settings) and really don't want to give it access. If it doesn't have access, it shouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

I also clicked 'Your feed' in the Google app. Unchecked "show feed," "data saver," and "notifications." That's all that was there.

Go to Accessibility. There is no TalkBack option. The 'Services' section is empty. Under 'Vision,' "Voice Assistant" is off.

In Android Settings, I turned off ALL microphone permissions. There is no reason any app would need to record my voice as I don't use that function. I also opened the Google app info, blocked notifications, and denied permission for "apps that can change system settings" as well as "apps that can appear on top."

Lastly, I force-stopped S Voice, denied permission for "apps that can change system settings", blocked notifications, and turned microphone permissions off.

If I am using the phone without headphones, or without headphones that have a mic on them, then it operates just fine. If I use headphones with a mic, then podcasts and general functioning will be interrupted by the "google lady bot-voice" message described by the OP.

Phone/software information: Android 7.0, Samsung Experience version 8.1, Samsung S5 Neo, Google version 7.23.26.21.arm

Please please help! :( It would be much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC