I keep getting the audible message: when it's safe you'll first need to...

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A baffling problem. I’ll move this thread to the General Help & How To forum, where it may fare better.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This may be a long shot, but are any of you using wired headsets or have an aux cable plugged into the headphone jack when this happens? I'm wondering if there's pocket lint and such in the jack interfering with the connection, tricking the phone into thinking you're trying to activate Google Assistant. This has happened to me before, but I already had assistant set up and it just started listening. If you don't have it set up, I can see this accidental "triggering" making it give that other message that's basically telling you to activate the Assistant to use voice commands.

kellyelly79

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi Mooncatt,

It ONLY happens when using wired headphones/headset WITH a mic. My wired headphones that don't have a mic don't cause this problem at all. I gave the jack a good shot of air a while ago and it didn't help :/

Thanks for the reply

MorrisonHaaze

Apr 25, 2018
Visit site
I just started getting this problem. It all started when I disabled Google's permission to use my microphone. I suggest going into your app permission settings and ensuring that Google has access to your microphone.

topdillin

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
No, this also happens to me with WIRED only head phones... has happened about 6-7 times today already, and it's only 09am... This is really annoying, but looks like, since 2016, there's no help in site :'(

Hi Mooncatt,

It ONLY happens when using wired headphones/headset WITH a mic. My wired headphones that don't have a mic don't cause this problem at all. I gave the jack a good shot of air a while ago and it didn't help :/

Thanks for the reply

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
It happens because the op plugged in a microphone, but the permissions to access it were toggled off. So everytime it's done anew, you will get the same message.
Use a headset without a mic. Do you still get the pop up?

Papa Chomsky

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
It happens because the op plugged in a microphone, but the permissions to access it were toggled off. So everytime it's done anew, you will get the same message.
Use a headset without a mic. Do you still get the pop up?

No this also happens with normal headphones without a mic

anielsen1

Dec 13, 2018
Visit site
I have this same issue. Everywhere the solutions people are proposing fail. The problem isn't something obvious like updating or buying new headphones, its a problem with the google app. No idea why the assistant does this, why not have an option where turning it off literally turns it off instead of letting it interrupt your music on a locked screen? Music is the main thing I use my phone for so this essentially ruins the device.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I was having this issue because my g/f bought a new Mercedes GLA last year and it happened whenever we connected her Galaxy S7 to the car. She totaled that car and got a new Mercedes GLC last week. Now when she connects her phone (the same phone as last year), it works fine.

Makes me wonder if the problem we were having is because of an issue with the version of Android Auto built into the car.

rafidangelo

Apr 16, 2019
Visit site
I figured out this issue on my phone and it may be the same for y'all. I keep seeing this problem on forums (searched for weeks on a way to fix it to no avail) but nobody has suggested the actual audio jack being the issue instead of the Assistant or the operating system. For me it was the audio jack, so test it yourself.

Assistant was only popping up when I listened to music with headphones plugged into the jack, and then I realized it only popped up when I was walking around or on the subway (I live in NYC, so most of the time if I'm listening to music through headphones, I'm also moving). I tried listening to music at my desk at work and -- surprise! -- assistant wasn't popping up. It only popped up when I was moving because the plug was shifting around in the jack or rotating.

I tried to figure out why that may be and I realized none of my headphones have a third sensor on the plug. I don't use mic'd headphones, which come with three sensors -- all of mine only have two. The phone is built for 2 or 3 (the third conducts the mic) and if something inside the receptacle (dust or dirt or lint) keeps coming in contact with the third/mic sensor, Assistant pops up to tell you to configure your mic, and then the headphone plug rotates and the lint stops touching, and then it shifts again and the lint touches it and the Assistant comes back on, wash rinse repeat.

Basically, for me, I just blew into the headphones receptacle with some compressed air and whatever was in there coming in contact with the 3rd sensor is gone now and I don't have anymore Assistant problems. It might work for y'all too.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ring, not sensor, but thanks for answering a question that's been plaguing people for almost 3 years.

That's what Mobile Nations is for - helping each other.

waldolat

Mar 17, 2023
Visit site
I figured out this issue on my phone and it may be the same for y'all. I keep seeing this problem on forums (searched for weeks on a way to fix it to no avail) but nobody has suggested the actual audio jack being the issue instead of the Assistant or the operating system. For me it was the audio jack, so test it yourself.

Assistant was only popping up when I listened to music with headphones plugged into the jack, and then I realized it only popped up when I was walking around or on the subway (I live in NYC, so most of the time if I'm listening to music through headphones, I'm also moving). I tried listening to music at my desk at work and -- surprise! -- assistant wasn't popping up. It only popped up when I was moving because the plug was shifting around in the jack or rotating.

I tried to figure out why that may be and I realized none of my headphones have a third sensor on the plug. I don't use mic'd headphones, which come with three sensors -- all of mine only have two. The phone is built for 2 or 3 (the third conducts the mic) and if something inside the receptacle (dust or dirt or lint) keeps coming in contact with the third/mic sensor, Assistant pops up to tell you to configure your mic, and then the headphone plug rotates and the lint stops touching, and then it shifts again and the lint touches it and the Assistant comes back on, wash rinse repeat.

Basically, for me, I just blew into the headphones receptacle with some compressed air and whatever was in there coming in contact with the 3rd sensor is gone now and I don't have anymore Assistant problems. It might work for y'all too.

I have a Galaxy S20 phone. No headphone jack! And I've been having this same problem forever. I use Phonax hearing aids, primarily to listen to music from YouTube Music via bluetooth. That stupid prompt is not only scary at times, but interrupts phone calls, in person conversations, and recording sessions (that's a real no-no). I don't use Google Assistant at all, and have turned off notifications, but IT CONTINUES. What is the solution to this? Why hasn't Google addressed it?

Galaxy S20 FE 5G
Android version 13

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S20 phone. No headphone jack! And I've been having this same problem forever. I use Phonax hearing aids, primarily to listen to music from YouTube Music via bluetooth. That stupid prompt is not only scary at times, but interrupts phone calls, in person conversations, and recording sessions (that's a real no-no). I don't use Google Assistant at all, and have turned off notifications, but IT CONTINUES. What is the solution to this? Why hasn't Google addressed it?

Galaxy S20 FE 5G
Android version 13
Welcome to AC!
That person you quoted hasn't been log in since 2019 so probably wouldn't expect a reply.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app