Hi,

We are working on a project to build an Android widget.

I'm trying to look for some facts and figures to support our project, such as whether users are familiar with widgets and how to install them, number of downloads, usage, the type of widgets that are popular, whether they are generally bundled with apps or standalone,
    etc …

I have had a hunt around and there are not very many articles about widgets, mainly about how to install them on the home page .. and the top 10 widgets for each month .. but not much else.

Please can you help
    Yen
    06-27-2016 08:22 AM
    I would guess most users are able to install them fine; there's not many questions about their use that I've seen. I think weather and date/time widgets are likely the most popular too. Look around the forums here, most phone sections have a sticky thread to post your home screen. Seems like most everyone has one or both of those widgets installed.

I think the biggest thing people may not realize is widgets only work when the app is installed on internal storage. If you move it to external storage, the widget will no longer work. Not really sure the reasoning behind it, other than to say that's how Android works.
    I recommend joining as a member - you'll be welcome - and engaging with others in our Android Developers forum, to which I'll request that this be moved.
    06-27-2016 08:59 AM
    I would guess most users are able to install them fine; there's not many questions about their use that I've seen. I think weather and date/time widgets are likely the most popular too. Look around the forums here, most phone sections have a sticky thread to post your home screen. Seems like most everyone has one or both of those widgets installed.

I think the biggest thing people may not realize is widgets only work when the app is installed on internal storage. If you move it to external storage, the widget will no longer work. Not really sure the reasoning behind it, other than to say that's how Android works.
    06-27-2016 09:14 AM
    Hi

I have joined as a member, but not sure how to move this post. Please can you help.

Thanks
    06-27-2016 09:15 AM