Google Play Services storage/battery/CPU use problem

ts0rge

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I noticed on this week that Google Play Service -module was using a huge amount of battery (~80 %), also noticed that the service was using a lot of storage (~2 GB). Aswell, the phone was totally stuck. I tried to uninstall the updates of that service and also cleared all the data. That helped for a while, but soon the storage use started to raise again very quickly. After that I did factory reset, but even that didn't help.

Because of no luck with factory reset, I started to investigate where that data is located. Found that file /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases/context_MYNAME_gmail.com.db was getting bigger and bigger, the size was raising about 1 MB per minute. I managed to open the file when that was quite small, the file contained binary data, but I was able to see string "com.google.android.contextmanager.module.UserLoca tionModule" repeatedly. Basically something was writing data to that file in a loop and the phone was getting more and more stuck.

So the problem is most probably somehow related to the GPS locations. Seems like that the problem does not occur if I disable the GPS location system OR I allow the Google to get my current location.

Any ideas how to solve the problem? Thanks!

Phone: Nexus 5 (rooted)
Android: KitKat 4.4.4 (app updates installed)

DAVExANDERSON

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I've recently run into this same issue with my phone. It is very frustrating. Turning off the Location service seems to have stopped the data growth.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
LG Volt
Android 4.4.2 (no root)

Google Play Services was using 1.4 GB of data / Storage Data = 1.4GB / Total Stroage = 1.4GB
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
I cleared the space multiple times over the last three days and it keeps syncing the same 1.4GB of data until I am out of space. I had to clear all data two times already today.

Google Service had the highest CPU usage for the day (46%). Included packages:

* Google Contacts Sync
* Google Services Framework
* Google Account Manager
* Google Play services
* Google Backup Transport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith